[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - Ubuntu vivid end of life....

Ubuntu vivid end of life....

Forum about Parallella boot process, linux kernel, distros, SD-cards, etc.

Ubuntu vivid end of life....

Postby mgrecki » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:33 am

Hi,
unfortunately the last parabuntu is based on Ubuntu vivid which is no longer supported. The consequences are no upgrades and even no possibility to download and install any package. I found a simple workaround which solves problems however it is probably not the right one (the right one requires preparation of new parabuntu version).
In order to be able again to keep the system alive, I have changed all "vivid" ids to "xenial" ids in /etc/sources.list. After apt-get update you have again access to package repositories. And after apt-get upgrade the system reports Ubuntu 16.04 (with support up to 2012).
Up to now, I cannot see any problems, everything works as before.
Hopefully, this will make life easier for somebody.
Please correct me if this way is related to some problems. As I wrote I did not notice any...
Disclaimer - please backup your files before making the changes. This is just in case something goes wrong.

PS. Anyway, in my opinion, the new parabuntu should be prepared, the current version after a fresh install is already dead in the sense neither new packages can be installed nor the system upgraded. If there are no volunteers to do that I am thinking about porting Debian to Parallella. Any comments why not to do that and stay with Ubuntu welcome.
mgrecki

Re: Ubuntu vivid end of life....

Postby mgrecki » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:22 pm

of course, support to Ubuntu Xenial is up to 2021, not 2012 as I wrote....
mgrecki

Re: Ubuntu vivid end of life....

Postby Min » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:06 am

Min

Return to Linux/U-Boot