[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - How to run a "self-test" of the Epiphany chip

How to run a "self-test" of the Epiphany chip

A forum for documenting the Parallella and Epiphany . (Not Q&A!)

How to run a "self-test" of the Epiphany chip

Postby aolofsson » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:00 pm

At least one of you have reported issues with the Epiphany chips on your Parallella board. The "test.sh" is a great demo application, but it doesn't help find what the root problem might be. The following program runs a variety of tests (more coming...) to help diagnose the issue.

Use:
e-test

Code Location:
https://github.com/adapteva/epiphany-ex ... pps/e-test
aolofsson

Re: How to run a "self-test" of the Epiphany chip

Postby ubii » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:42 pm

aolofsson,

It appears that the build script for e-test is failing due to two separate issues. First, the "bin" directory does not exist by default, so you may want to add "mkdir -p bin/", like you have in other build scripts. Second, it appears as though "src/test_memory_dram.c" is missing, so the build script is unable to create the associated elf file.
ubii

Postby aolofsson » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:48 am

ubii, Thanks!! Fixed

I will test in a clean directory, I will test in a clean directory, I will test in a clean directory, ... :D
aolofsson

Postby ubii » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:12 pm

aolofsson,

Thank you for resolving this issue so quickly, I am now able to run e-test, as seen below.

-------------------------------------------------------
***Running Simple Memory Test***
***Running March-C Memory Test***
***Running Host Read/Write Test***
***Running DRAM Read/Write Test***
***Running Emesh Test***
***Running Simple Matmul Test***
GOOD: CHIP PASSED SELF-TEST!
ubii

Postby aolofsson » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:36 pm

Great to hear! Thanks!
aolofsson

Postby spanier » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:23 pm

I have been having some difficulties getting the self tests to run without early crashing and locking up my Parallella E64 board.

However, I have managed to run the self tests within epiphany-examples.git/archive/e-test. Note, I run each test separately, otherwise it gets stuck in an infinite loop with the default run all tests option.

I did find that the distribution needed editing for the Parallella board (bsps directory) as some files were missing... I am documenting all the little gotchas elsewhere. What would be a useful place to mention them ? .. or on github ?

Anyway, here are my results from the archive directory (testing backwards):

Running DRAM read/write test for all cores
Running emesh test for all cores
Running simple matmul test for all cores
GOOD: E64G401 PASSED SELF-TEST! (note I did not edit any of the code and think this might be incorrect)

Running march-C memory test for all cores
...waiting for core (0,0)
FAILED for core (4,0)
FAILED for core (4,4)
BAD: CHIP FAILED!!!!

Running simple memory test for all cores
GOOD: E64G401 PASSED SELF-TEST!

Testing elink from core (0,0)

Running host read/write test for all cores
FAIL (6,7) k=3763 data=aabaaaaa
FAIL (6,7) k=3779 data=aabaaaaa
FAIL (7,1) k=3420 data=a8aaaaaa
FAIL (7,7) k=1336 data=55554555
BAD: CHIP FAILED!!!!

So, it looks like my 64 cores are actually 59 with suspects of (4,0), (4,4), (6,7), (7,1) and (7,7)

Anyway, I will keep you posted on my experiments....

Regards
Jonathan
spanier

Postby spanier » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:37 pm

Hello again

For completeness this is what happens with the standard epiphany-examples.git/test:
1. set e-toggle-led to 1 - detect if system hangs
2. EPIPHANY_TESTS environment variable set to the local epiphany-examples git directory
3. ./scripts/TestEpiphany.pl -l scripts/LIST.E64 -skip scripts/SKIP.LIST -d run -rows 8 -cols 8

Results:

Running /home/linaro/epiphany-examples/test/e-reset/test.sh PASSED
Running /home/linaro/epiphany-examples/test/e-write-word/test.sh PASSED
Running /home/linaro/epiphany-examples/test/e-read-word/test.sh PASSED
Running /home/linaro/epiphany-examples/test/e-write-buf/test.sh PASSED
Running /home/linaro/epiphany-examples/test/e-read-buf/test.sh

Yes, the red epiphany led goes out, ethernet dies, HDMI dies - needs to power cycle or press the reset button to resurrect the board. Also, any log files won't have anything saved using the standard framework.

So, this is where I am at at the moment.
spanier

Postby BOBNINO » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:42 pm

I can't seem to get ubuntu 14 up on my screen, i tried using startx but only get the parallella logo and not ubuntu, secondly every time i use xrandr i get cannot open display !! I'm using it with a TV and the text on the TV fades away on the side of the screen and i cant readjust it from my TV , any solutions??
BOBNINO

Postby 9600 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:59 pm

I'd suggest trying alternative displays.

Andrew
Andrew Back

Postby BOBNINO » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:47 pm

thanx buad 9600 i fixed it , had to find the right user for the x server.
BOBNINO

Next

Return to Quick Start Guides , Documentation, Examples (Start Here!)