A Beginners Guide to getting started with the Parallella.

A forum for documenting the Parallella and Epiphany . (Not Q&A!)

Re: A Beginners Guide to getting started with the Parallella

Postby 9600 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:05 pm

It sounds promising if your router is successfully leasing the board an IP, but you should be able to then ping it and log in via SSH. Have you tried with the HDMI versions of the bitstream and kernel also? Shouldn't make a difference in theory, but not sure what else to suggest in this instance. Well, you could also take the SD card out and mount it on another machine and take a look at the logs.

Cheers,

Andrew
Andrew Back (a.k.a. 9600 / carrierdetect)

Postby ajtravis » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:41 pm

AndyC wrote:Dear Dr. Beau Webber

Thanks very much for this guide.

Would it please be possible for you to post a link to the Maplin PSU you mention as I am unable to find it.

Many Thanks

Andy

Hi, Andy.

I'm using this USB charger to power my four boards:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/maplin-84a-usb-charging-station-n41dn

HTH,

Tony.
Minke Informatics Limited, Registered in Scotland - Company No. SC419028
ajtravis

Postby AndyC » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:07 pm

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the info.

A it off topic but I remember you were linking your boards via the network ports. Do you get gigabit connection, or just 100 mbit?

Cheers

Andy
AndyC

USB and NIC connections

Postby ajtravis » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:11 pm

AndyC wrote:Hi Tony,
[...]
A it off topic but I remember you were linking your boards via the network ports. Do you get gigabit connection, or just 100 mbit?

Hi, Andy.

OK, I've changed the topic :-)

I get Gbit connections using my Netgear GS105 switch:
Code: Select all
xemacps e000b000.eth: link up (1000/FULL)

Wish the USB worked as reliably as the NIC...

I find that USB works more often than not from a cold start, but if it doesn't detect the USB PHY first time then it's very difficult to get it to initialise again unless I leave the power off for at least 15 mins. Worse, if I reboot without powering off the USB is most often not re-initialised and I enter a futile loop of reset power off etc. until the USB PHY is detected again: Not a good advert for Parallella when it happened during my live Parallella demo in St. Andrews recently - I did, however, emphasise that Epiphany is the most interesting aspect of Parallella, not the ARM and Zynq, but it was embarrasing to have such unpredictable USB failures in public when demonstrating the Parallella as an alternative to the Raspberry Pi for teaching bioinformatics.

I've not investigated this systematically, but from my point of view failure of the USB PHY to initialise and be detected by the Linux kernel is the Achilles heel of Parallella as a Desktop computer. I'm certainly up for finding out what the USB problem is and presenting a more positive view of Parallella as a Desktop computer. However, the feedback I've had so far is that since the Parallella USB is tested before they get shipped it must be something wrong with my USB hub and peripherals or how I'm using it. I don't buy that and quite a few other people on this forum have had similar USB problems. Not only that, but I've also seen posts about problems with the Zed board's USB too. I think we need a concerted effort NOW to nail down the USB issue.

I'm not sure how repeatable this is yet, but I find the USB PHY is initialised more often if I don't use the UART as the Linux console. I saw a comment by Fred about the UART causing problems when discussing the USB issue in another thread.

How are you getting on with USB?

Bye,

Tony.
ajtravis

Postby AndyC » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:45 am

Hi Tony,

I also get:

Code: Select all
xemacps e000b000.eth: Set clk to 124999998 Hz
xemacps e000b000.eth: link up (1000/FULL)

But the connection light on the connector is green which the ref guide states is 100, also I only get around 10MB/sec transfers. I also get a problem where I get periods of time where the network starts going very slowly, ping times go up to around 200ms and then it dies. This is pretty annoying as I use ssh and all the connections get kicked. The only way I have found to get it back is to disconnect the cable and reconnect it.

Concerning the USB, when I fist tried it I could not get it to work with the lead I had. Having read some of the posts on this forum I just thought mine may be bad, but I purchased a new lead (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00D ... UTF8&psc=1) and tried it and it now works perfectly.

So for me the USB is good so far and the NIC is poor!

Cheers

Andy
AndyC

Postby ajtravis » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:48 am

AndyC wrote:[...]
But the connection light on the connector is green which the ref guide states is 100, also I only get around 10MB/sec transfers. I also get a problem where I get periods of time where the network starts going very slowly, ping times go up to around 200ms and then it dies. This is pretty annoying as I use ssh and all the connections get kicked. The only way I have found to get it back is to disconnect the cable and reconnect it.

Concerning the USB, when I fist tried it I could not get it to work with the lead I had. Having read some of the posts on this forum I just thought mine may be bad, but I purchased a new lead (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00D ... UTF8&psc=1) and tried it and it now works perfectly.

So for me the USB is good so far and the NIC is poor!

Hi, Andy.

Hmm... I'll do some network benchmarking and let you know what speed I get.

Re: USB, I'm using one of these Maplin USB OTG cables:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/maplin-tech-on-the-go-micro-usb-to-female-usb-n36qg

Just to rule the USB OTG cable out as the source of my USB problems, I'll buy another one of a different brand. My 'low-cost' Parallella has set me back over £600 so far not including the monitor and keyboard(!). I guess the extra cost of another USB cable will be worth it if it resolves the problem ;-)

Thanks for the tip,

Tony.
ajtravis

Postby AndyC » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:03 am

Hi Tony,

This one http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00D ... UTF8&psc=1 works for me.

Good luck!

Andy
AndyC

Postby FHuettig » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:44 pm

AndyC wrote:But the connection light on the connector is green which the ref guide states is 100

Oh I see, that's something we need to update in the reference manual. The left Ethernet LED only has one color, green, which you can confirm by the schematic. I've had it connected to both GbE and 100MbE switches and the left LED is always solid green once the board has booted. During boot the green LED blinks, I assume when there is activity on the wire, and on my headless system I use that visible change to know when the board is ready to go.
-- Fred -- Hardware Guy --
FHuettig

Postby ajtravis » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:49 pm

FHuettig wrote:
AndyC wrote:But the connection light on the connector is green which the ref guide states is 100

Oh I see, that's something we need to update in the reference manual. The left Ethernet LED only has one color, green, which you can confirm by the schematic. I've had it connected to both GbE and 100MbE switches and the left LED is always solid green once the board has booted. During boot the green LED blinks, I assume when there is activity on the wire, and on my headless system I use that visible change to know when the board is ready to go.

Hi, Fred.

The left NIC LED is solid green on my boards too, once they have booted, but the right LED is amber and blinks with network traffic when connected to my Gbit switch.

Bye,

Tony.
ajtravis

Postby FHuettig » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:18 am

ajtravis wrote:The left NIC LED is solid green on my boards too, once they have booted, but the right LED is amber and blinks with network traffic when connected to my Gbit switch.

Right, I wasn't clear about which LED I was talking about. The right LED also has only one color, yellow/amber, and like the left LED it will not change with different wire speeds.
-- Fred -- Hardware Guy --
FHuettig

PreviousNext

Return to Quick Start Guides , Documentation, Examples (Start Here!)