Parallella HMDI out converted to DVI (or VGA)?

Hardware related problems and workarounds

Parallella HMDI out converted to DVI (or VGA)?

Postby heymanj » Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:55 pm

I have an original Parallella (kickstarter funded).
I recently started playing with it again, and the ouptut works just fine when plugged int an HDMI -> DVI adapter.
Unfortunately, my monitor only has one (1) DVI and one VGA connection.
I've currently got a 4port VGA KVM that I am making use of for my three other systems am using the HDMI-DVI adapter on the monitor for my work laptop.
I have purchased a HDMI -> VGA adapter, which works with my work laptop, but doesn't generate the necessary signal when connected to the Parallella.
My preference is to run the work laptop on the HDMI/DVI adapter, and all my other 'home' systems (two intel Linux, one Mac mini, and the parallella) on the four port KVM.
Any thoughts (or suggestions) out there for how to get the parallella to work via the adapter? In the past, I've noticed issues with the parallella driving some HDMI monitors ...

jerry
heymanj

Re: Parallella HMDI out converted to DVI (or VGA)?

Postby heymanj » Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:01 pm

Currently, the parallella is running Parabuntu 15.04

Linux parallella 4.6.0+ #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Dec 7 13:27:40 CET 2016 armv7l armv7l armv7l GNU/Linux
heymanj

Re: Parallella HMDI out converted to DVI (or VGA)?

Postby Min » Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:25 am

my experience, the HDMI cable can't be too long( maybe my HDMI cable is cheep, poor quality cable).
A workaround solution, you can connect it to your network, use ssh, or VNC to access your board.
Min

Return to Troubleshooting