Blinking power led

Hardware related problems and workarounds

Blinking power led

Postby jiajun » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:57 am

I connected power and network to my parallella and powered it on with the micro-sd card inserted. However, the led blinks instead of staying on. the network LEDs are not turned on either. I had connected my serial cable to the 3 pins beside the ethernet port, no output from there either.

what could be wrong?
jiajun

Re: Blinking power led

Postby aolofsson » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:43 pm

Hopefully there is nothing wrong with the board. There is an updated quick start guide that explains the power requirements in more detail: http://www.parallella.org/quick-start/

How are you powering the board. If the power supply is underpowered, it could explain the flickering LED.

Andreas
aolofsson

Postby jiajun » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:56 pm

i had rebuild the sd card according to the new instructions. it's still blinking. the board is powered using a DC 5v adapter. it is known to be able to supply 2A. I also tried powering it through USB after not being able to improve the situation. When the power is supplied from usb (also known to be able to supply at least 2A), the led stays on, but nothing else seems happen.
jiajun

Postby jiajun » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:21 pm

some updates. the board seems to be in a reset loop leading to the "blinking led".
jiajun

Postby gceline » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:13 pm

Yes - power issues will cause the board to reset. Please check the PSU
Graham
Adapteva
gceline

Postby thak777 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:39 pm

I'm having the same blinking LED problem. I bought the pack from Adapteva specifically for use with this board, so I would assume they wouldn't sell me a crappy power supply.

Is a blinking green LED basically telling me that it's a power problem? Or are there other reasons for that?

(I've been waiting for this thing for a LONG time, and if I just got a lemon...)
thak777

Postby aolofsson » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:49 pm

Could you help us out with the following information to help us figure out what's going on with your board?

-what voltage level are you using(110/220V?), country?
-are you plugging PSU into a wall or a power strip.
-could you post a picture (or send to support@adapteva.com) of the sticker on the bad PSU that we supplied.

We bought all of the the power supplies from a reputable distributor and it IS supposed to be a very good power supply, but we did not test every supply before shipping.

Thanks,
Andreas
aolofsson

Postby thak777 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:51 pm

Well, I brought the board home with me tonight, and I was able to get it to boot. At the office, I tried plugging it into a power strip as well as straight into the wall...two different sockets.

It stayed up for a little while, and then it did the "two penguins" thing in the top left of the screen. I tried to reset with the button, and it went straight to the penguins. I unplugged it, and rebooted it again, and it booted fine.

So I'm not really sure what's going on.

Frustrating.
thak777

Return to Troubleshooting