[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - USB has stopped working and an intermittent fault!

USB has stopped working and an intermittent fault!

Hardware related problems and workarounds

USB has stopped working and an intermittent fault!

Postby leon_heller » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:43 pm

I just tried a K330 keyboard and M215 mouse with my board, and neither worked. I reverted to the M210 mouse that had been working, and that didn't work. Neither did the USB keyboard that had "sort of worked".

I suppose I'll have to RMA it. There is an intermittent power fault on it, anyway - I just have to move the board and it reboots. The PS (2.5A) has the correct 5.5 mm / 2.1 mm plug on it.
Last edited by leon_heller on Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leon Heller
G1HSM
leon_heller

Re: USB has stopped working!

Postby TimW » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:51 pm

I've got 4 boards and haven't yet had time to do anything other than power them up to make sure that they work. On three of the four I couldn't get USB working. However, the one where I did get USB working was the only one with a network connection. I was hoping that maybe there was some kind of dependency between the USB and network drivers causing the problem but I'll have to dig further over the weekend.
TimW

Postby Janos » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:58 pm

Which OS are you using?
Janos of The Scottish BOINC Team
Janos

Postby TimW » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:41 am

I'm using the one on the FTP site linked to from http://www.parallella.org/create-sdcard/ at ftp://ftp.parallella.org/sd_images.

I dd'd the img file rather than uncompressing the root fs. I can't check right now but I'm pretty sure it was dated within the last week or so.
TimW

Postby leon_heller » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:55 pm

That's the file I'm using.

The USB port doesn't seem to be getting any power - LEDs on USB keyboard or mouse (direct connection) don't come on.

I've tried a different PS, and still had the same intermittent problem with the board rebooting if it was touched or moved.

I reported the problems to support@adapteva.com, but haven't had a response.
Leon Heller
G1HSM
leon_heller

Postby leon_heller » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:17 pm

I've just done some more investigation of the rebooting problem when the board is moved or touched, whilst monitoring the serial port. I've found that the board isn't actually rebooting, but the HDMI output either stops with no output, or I get a blank screen and then the login prompt reappears.
Leon Heller
G1HSM
leon_heller

Re: USB has stopped working and an intermittent fault!

Postby gceline » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:48 pm

I had a couple of time where I kept getting back to the login screen. After login in three of four time, it miraculously logged in and stayed logged in. I am no linux expert, so I cannot explain it, but after it completed the login, it remained fine
Graham
Adapteva
gceline

Postby leon_heller » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:43 pm

I can't even login, of course, without a functioning USB port.
Leon Heller
G1HSM
leon_heller

Postby shodruk » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:00 pm

I recommend 3A or more PSU.
Maybe 4A, 5A is better.
Shodruky
shodruk

Postby leon_heller » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:07 pm

2A and 2.5A, which is what I have, should be OK, though. The spec. says 2A. I can't see them causing my problems, especially as the USB worked for a couple of days.

I have a 15A supply that I use with my amateur radio transmitter. Perhaps I should try that. :)
Leon Heller
G1HSM
leon_heller

Next

Return to Troubleshooting