[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - USB not working

USB not working

Hardware related problems and workarounds

USB not working

Postby jabberlope » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:33 am

Hi there,

I just received my Parallela board this week and have successfully booted off the SD card to the login screen, but I'm having problems finding a keyboard that will work. I've plugged in a couple and get no feedback or input. I can confirm that the micro-USB -> USB plug works because I plugged a mouse into the micro-USB on my Android phone (never knew you could do that!). Does anyone from the forum have any suggestions as to what I might be doing wrong or troubleshooting? Thanks...

Keyboards tried: APPLE OEM USB keyboard with USB ports for mouse, and generic white Chinese off market USB keyboard, no extraneous USB inputs.

Thanks in advance for the help...
jabberlope

Re: USB not working

Postby Janos » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:53 am

Verified peripherals are listed here:
Janos of The Scottish BOINC Team
Janos

Postby jabberlope » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:58 am

thanks @Janos. I saw the list but was wondering if there were others the community had had success with since I wasn't keen on purchasing a new keyboard.
jabberlope

Postby timpart » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:30 am

At the risk of asking silly questions... Which USB port are you using on the board? Don't use the one next to the power connector, use the one next to the HDMI.

Have you tried rebooting the card?

Have you tried booting without the keyboard connected and connecting it afterwards? (you could unplug it from the adaptor).

Tim
timpart

Postby dagert » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:43 pm

I reported the same problem earlier. My USB port does not work. My keyboard and mouse worked correctly on another Parallella. I've tried both the original and new images, multiple reboots, peripherals connected before and after boot. I've measured power on the USB port and +5 volts is not present. I'm at a loss as to what to try next.
dagert

Postby TimW » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:50 pm

+3 4/5
I have 4 boards. On one I get the keyboard working about 1 boot in 5. On the others....nothing.
TimW

Postby jabberlope » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:15 pm

@all - Well, it's good to know this isn't an isolated incident.

@timpart - there are no silly questions here. i've tried both USB ports but can't quite remember if I've tried plugging in only after the boot sequence has run. I will give that a shot.

Also, in regards to the Verified Peripheral page, it seems to me that if the USB was working I wouldn't need some special Logitech model but just any low amperage input would do.

Has anyone received word back from Adapteva on a solve for this? Are you just sending back the fried boards and exchanging them for good ones?
jabberlope

Postby aolofsson » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:41 pm

First of all, I am really sorry to hear that you are having problems with the issues with the USB port. Although we have had some challenges with the USB port, we don't ship boards without testing that basic peripherals like a mouse and a keyboard works.

Here are some things to try to understand the situation

-Can you plug in a USD device with some kind of LED indicator to see if the port i's powered. When we do see boards failing to power up, it's because the USB power switch on the Parallella is turned off. (still working on a software solution for this)?

-If it worked once, and then stopped working, please make sure you didn't overload the USB port. Please see the "WARNINGS" section of the quick start guide. Overloading the USB port with more than 500MA could damage the USB port.

-Does the board boot otherwise? Are you able to ssh into the board or connect a serial console?

-With lxde, I did find that my keyboard worked, but not my mouse during the login screen. Once logged in, the mouse works fine.
(note that others testing the system did not have this issue).

Andreas
aolofsson

Postby TimW » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:52 pm

I'm just plugging in a bog standard USB keyboard. I'm pretty sure that my problem is that the USB power is not coming on because I can SSH, but no indicator lights on the keyboard come on. Can you tell us tell us more about this issue? It sounds like you are expecting the fix for this to be in software but I don't understand why some boards are affected, and some aren't, and why it can be intermittent - though the frequency with which mine works seems to have dropped to 0 now.
TimW

Postby leon_heller » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:56 pm

USB was working on my board, but stopped working after a couple of days with no power, like yours. I've contacted support about it.
Leon Heller
G1HSM
leon_heller

Next

Return to Troubleshooting