[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - USB not working

USB not working

Hardware related problems and workarounds

Re: USB not working

Postby 9600 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:44 am

@Sean S If you're running the latest LInux image, FPGA bitstream and kernel, and still find that USB is still not working for you, but everything else is, I would suggest you contact support@adapteva.com. As Shodruk says, while a few may still be experiencing issues, the vast majority are not and those who are with the latest distro could have faulty hardware.

Regards,

Andrew
Andrew Back

Postby shahram » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:15 pm

Hi

I finally got my barrel cable and tested the board. Unfortunately it seems I bought a 100$ brick. :x

Here is what happened (may not apply to any purchase of parallella board)

-I powered up the board using a barrel cable and a very high quality power supply 5vdc 3A. The board boots perfectly and brings up the login screen.
-None of the USB ports work whether with a mouse/keyboard or a USB flash memory. I have a USB flash memory that when it is powered up and recognized by the host it blinks so fast for about half a second. But when I tried with USB connectors on the board nothing happened. I tried both long and short cables. It looks like there is no way left for me to connect to the board directly. I was wondering if there is still a chance to remotely connect to the board (remote desktop to use mouse and keyboard), if any please let me know.

Serial port is also useless for debugging, since there is no message after booting the kernel and you cannot see what is happening within the kernel. At least I could use it to see USB attach/detach messages if debugging messages was enabled.

If there was a problem with Epiphany chip or any other rare problems I would blame no one since I know how complicated and challenging a project can be when there is something new in it. But USB port is not something new and has been used in many boards like this for a long time(you all know them), and there shouldn't be any problem with that unless you want to reinvent the wheel AGAIN.
shahram

Postby gceline » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:28 pm

If you are connected to Ethernet, you should be able to SSH into the boards and get access to all the resources remotely
Graham
Adapteva
gceline

Postby perles » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:32 pm

Following Andrew's suggestion I've contacted Adapteva to request an exchange of my faulty board, but all I got was an auto-reply message saying that they are receiving a higher number of emails than usual. Does anyone here have a better experience to tell?
perles

Postby over9000 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:01 pm

over9000

Postby Wuming » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:15 am

I already have realized SSH to login, but USB don't work,type 'lsusb',then display 'unable to initialize libusb: -99'
Wuming

Postby perles » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:32 pm

Does anyone have had any luck in returning your Parallella board due to USB issues? I've finally got my RMA request approved after a few days waiting, but not sure yet whether I'll ship it back.
perles

Postby jabberlope » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:01 pm

jabberlope

Postby e-rod » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:33 am

e-rod

Postby Sean S » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:28 pm

Hi e-rod

Good investigative work! Lets hope that this turns out to be a software bug and not a hardware feature.

Just one observation - how do you distinguish between an USB OTG adapter vs a Micro USB cable?

Some people have noted that a long USB cable yields positive results - how long is your micro USB cable? Perhaps the difference between the USB OTG adapter (0 length) vs Micro USB cable (having some additional length) is what makes the difference.

Anyway, please keep us updated if you have any further findings.

Ta,
Sean
Sean S

PreviousNext

Return to Troubleshooting