What happens when the board runs too hot

Hardware related problems and workarounds

What happens when the board runs too hot

Postby matsbror » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:16 pm

We just started our board today and we could ssh into it and all seemed OK, except that it got hot. I was under the impression that it should work OK with only the heat sink, but the xtemp application (which I found preinstalled on the image) stated around 95 degrees Celcius which seems a bit too hot.

The next time we tried to connect, the board did not reply to ping or ssh requests.

Can it have been fried? We are now getting a fan to see if that makes a difference also after some rest.

The green LED stays on.
matsbror

Re: What happens when the board runs too hot

Postby leon_heller » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:56 pm

How did you run xtemp? I get command not found when I type it.
Leon Heller
G1HSM
leon_heller

Postby ubii » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:04 pm

mastsbror,

Unfortunately, the use of an external fan is strongly recommended in addition to the provided heat sink, in order to adequately cool the Zynq chip. I have personally seen my board reach 115 C, during my initial thermal testing, so I am sure that your board is fine. During my testing, I would start to see stability issues with the board at temperatures over 80 C. Using both an extra fan and the provided heat sink, the Zynq chip now typically runs between 60 and 65 C.

As an alternative to running xtemp, listed below, is a simple bash script that you can run from the command line.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=930&p=6242#p6242
ubii

Postby bumblebee007 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:38 am

Leon,

you might have to install 'bc' if you are trying the shell script that is show in the link that ubii posted or you might try
./xtemp in the directory that the program is in.

Note: to install the 'bc' package do sudo apt-get install bc
bumblebee007

Return to Troubleshooting