High pitch noise on booting

Hardware related problems and workarounds

High pitch noise on booting

Postby Davidmh » Fri May 09, 2014 12:31 pm

I just got the board, loaded the SD card and plug the HDMI cable and the power. The green led was blinking still, but the board started to produce a high pitch noise. The screen remained blank.

It is difficult to describe, but at the beginning there are some variation in the noise, and after a few seconds, it stabilizes into the same tone. If I gently press the HDMI cable down, the noise will stop; but if I remove it completely, it remains at the same level.

I assume this is not expected behaviour. What can I do?

I have double checked the PSU and it is according to specifications and positive polarity in.
Davidmh

Re: High pitch noise on booting

Postby gceline » Fri May 09, 2014 5:45 pm

LED blinking indicates a power supply problem
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=1039
Graham
Adapteva
gceline

Postby Davidmh » Sat May 10, 2014 7:08 am

Sorry I missed that.

So, I tried again from a different plug, and the LED lights up still (good) but the noise persists. Unfortunately, the only HDMI screen I have at the moment is in the room with the bad power supply plugs, so I don't know if it is booting. I guess I could try to SSH my way in, if I find it on the network.

Should I be concerned about the noise? It is certanly annoying, about as loud as a noisy computer fan.
Davidmh

Postby gceline » Mon May 12, 2014 6:12 pm

This is the first report we have had about a noise when booting - I suspect it may be the HDMI cable or HDMI monitors default settings - can you try another monitor?
Graham
Adapteva
gceline

Postby Davidmh » Mon May 12, 2014 9:36 pm

The noise persists even when no cable is plugged in.
Davidmh

Return to Troubleshooting