[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - SD Image (Mac) and Trouble Booting

SD Image (Mac) and Trouble Booting

Hardware related problems and workarounds

SD Image (Mac) and Trouble Booting

Postby garthvader » Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:44 am

Hello,

I want to make sure I absolutely have a good SD imaged card.

I recently received my board and after a few days of waiting for the accessories to come in the mail (including the unexpected fan solution :/) I was able to attempt booting... more times than I'd like. So far I have lost two frustrating evenings to this, so I am hoping someone can help me out...

I have mac and (debian) linux OS. I have tried both the old single image method, and the method described by copying the main image then the separate boot files into the boot partition. The cards all appeared to be made correctly from linux, but this is where I am asking for some confirmation. I would prefer mac advice since using the linux box interferes with work work. Copying 7gb is not fast, and I'd hate to brick a brand new sandisk 32gb class 10 sd by abusing it.

I am using a 5v 2A supply as used on other embedded systems (think beaglebone). I am using a 40mm fan directly above the included heatsink, via soldered j15 and the mounting pads as recommended. I have tried every combination of the three un/attached hardware options using a card setup by both imaging techniques. I also tried disco the fan and running the fan off a 9v battery, just in case the fan had anything to do with it.

Result always the same: Single led for a moment, then a second led (CR8 then CR10). I get a green ethernet light, then orange ethernet light with some blinking. No hdmi activity. When using ethernet cable, no network life from the board shows via my router DHCP client table, or via nmap. (That is the part that is really troubling...)

Is there a method we can recommend to confirm that the SD card is not the issue? Its probably the last thing left...
garthvader

Re: SD Image (Mac) and Trouble Booting

Postby 9600 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:19 am

Do you have a different SD card you could try?

Do you have a USB UART — a.k.a. "FTDI cable" — you could connect to the ?

Cheers,

Andrew
Andrew Back

Postby gceline » Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:56 pm

The second LED is driven by the Zynq, so the board is waking up, but the fact that you are not getting any ethernet activity is an indication the boot is not happening.
Graham
Adapteva
gceline

Postby garthvader » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:29 pm

I have tried two of these sandisk class 10 32g cards, which I bought for the parallella:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009QZ ... UTF8&psc=1

I have only another 8g card available. I will give that a shot and report back. Thanks.
garthvader

Postby garthvader » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:38 pm

Actually I had a 16gb kingston card, not 8gb as I thought. Same behavior. I'm not having any problems mounting the disks from other machines. If there is no official way to confirm/deny they are correctly imaged then I can only assume this is not the problem... I use the same methods listed on the create-sdcard page successfully on other devices.

I do not have the USB cable you are referring to, and I'm not dropping anymore money until the thing boots. I may be able to xover to another embedded machine's serial pins but I'll have to restore its sdcard first :roll: I find this situation very troubling given the timing and lack of thermal solution etc etc
garthvader

Postby garthvader » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:19 pm

attached log. If I am reading it correctly, the device appears to boot. However I have yet to find it on the network or have it display via hdmi :/
Attachments
pboot.log
(4.97 KiB) Downloaded 1151 times
garthvader

Postby garthvader » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:55 pm

Next steps?
garthvader

Postby aolofsson » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:18 pm

I think we have seen this behavior when a headless HDMI FPGA bit stream is used with a linux device tree that assumes a video device. Can you specify exactly which kernel, bitstream, and rootfile system you are using?
aolofsson

Postby garthvader » Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:40 am

I believe this card is flashed with ubuntu-lxde-14.03.06-p16g1.img . Thanks!
garthvader

Postby garthvader » Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:42 am

I just tried the refreshing with the latest-greatest from http://www.parallella.org/create-sdcard/ and externally I have the same behavior. If I have time to resume debugging again tomorrow I will try to grab its log.

Unfortunately, I am approaching the limit of patience with this product. What are your suggested next steps if this cannot be resolved? Thanks.
garthvader

Next

Return to Troubleshooting