[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - No Input Devices Working

No Input Devices Working

Hardware related problems and workarounds

No Input Devices Working

Postby theyogre » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:55 pm

I've been trying for a month to get my board working, and I don't know what to do next.

I get the login screen, so it appears to be booting properly. No input devices generate a response at all.

No input devices are working. I have tried 3 different keyboards (Motorolla Lapdock via HDMI, Logitech Wave direct to USB by HDMI port, and via powered USB hub, and a generic Dell keyboard via powered USB hub.) My Dell mouse doesn't even show a red light when I hook it into the USB port. The USB hub I'm using is a Belkin 4 port hub that I thought was on the compliant list. I tried the Lapdock connected only by the HDMI cable. I tried the Lapdock connected by the HDMI cable and a USB cable. The login screen comes up, but no input response. I tried a TV screen with the Logitech keyboard and the Dell mouse. I tried the keyboard and mouse via the powered hub, and each independently without the hub. I powered down and up the board between each switch. All combinations brought up the login screen, but no input response.

I've carefully read and followed all of the directions to the best of my ability. I hooked up a fan (it is working). I power everything up from the same power strip. The SD card image should be done right.

How can I figure out what the problem is? Is my USB port bad, somehow? Are my settings just wrong? If so, how can I fix them without being able to input anything to my parallella system? Basically, how can I fix it directly on the SD card image, if that's the problem?

I'm getting very frustrated. :(
theyogre

Re: No Input Devices Working

Postby over9000 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:30 pm

over9000

Postby theyogre » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:35 pm

1. I'm using the correct USB port.

2-4. I don't know how to do any of this without a keyboard working. Do logs somehow magically generate just from booting up, so I can try step 4 by putting the SD card in my other computer without having done anything besides booting up the parallella board?

If not, do I have to connect the board to another computer and access the system remotely? Is there someplace that gives tutorials on how to do that? I'm completely self taught and not very experienced. If you don't know where step by step instructions are, can you tell me what key words to search for when I'm looking for tutorials for myself?

Can I use Windows Explorer or Mac Finder to search for the files, or is it best/easiest to use a terminal?

I really have to find sources that spell it out for me, and you did most of that. Thanks so much for replying.
theyogre

Postby over9000 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:52 pm

over9000

Postby Frida » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:16 pm

I have the same problem, when I power up, I got a login screen, but can not login. Then I hit the little reset button and I can login with my Logitech K400 keyboard.
Frida

Postby theyogre » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:52 pm

Attachments
dmesg.txt
(12.77 KiB) Downloaded 1254 times
syslog.txt
(720.34 KiB) Downloaded 1258 times
theyogre

Postby over9000 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:30 pm

over9000

Postby over9000 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:32 pm

Just two more points...

1. if you can ssh in, at least you'll have a usable system while you try to work out the USB issue
2. don't worry about weird times in the logs. The Parallella doesn't have a real-time clock, so the jump in dates was just due to it connecting to the net to find the real time
over9000

Postby theyogre » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:28 pm

Thanks, I'll look again. I might be missing something that is obvious on closer inspection, and I can ssh to try things thanks to all of your help.
theyogre

Postby perles » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:49 pm

perles

Next

Return to Troubleshooting