[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - Parallella Won't Display via HDMI!

Parallella Won't Display via HDMI!

Hardware related problems and workarounds

Parallella Won't Display via HDMI!

Postby carsenk » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:50 am

Hello guys!

I had a previous thread here in regards to getting my power supply up and running out of the box (my parallella now powers on just fine, solid green LED but NO DISPLAY)

Here is a picture of my Parallella in the GeauxRobot Case for Raspberry Pi's, I have a USB Fan attached to the 4-Port USB Hub that I have attached to the Parallella (One Port for Fran, One Port for Mouse, One Port for Keyboard, and One port for my Panda Mini 300mbps Wireless-N dongle, they all seem to be getting power, no response from the keyboard or mouse though.)

I have the Parallella plugged-in to my HD 1920x1080 Dell Monitor via micro-HDMI to HDMI (one cable) (AmazonBasics cable, gold plated)...Even though the Parallella seems to be on, it does not display anything on my monitor at all, nothing comes up, I have tried unplugging everything and just have power and hdmi, and still nothing...Am I missing something? Please help guys! I have been trying for hours to no avail. I do not have ethernet, so no SSHing via ethernet...I do have a USB to UART cable coming in the mail still though to access SSH if needed (But it would be helpful to have a guide of how to get HDMI working if I can get SSH access)...Otherwise I really need to know or figure out how/why it is not displaying via the HDMI port...I used a 32GB Class 10 microSD card and followed the steps to put Ubuntu 14.04 with the Linux Kernal with HDMI Support and FPGA for the 7010 on Windows....Which I believe is setup properly..
carsenk

Re: Parallella Won't Display via HDMI!

Postby carsenk » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:10 pm

Okay, So I received my Serial Cable...

I proceeded to hookup the white,green, and black cables correctly according to a diagram I found on these forums. I got the drivers installed successfully and got it to connect in putty to COM8.

After having the putty terminal pulled up with the Parallella connected and then turned on, nothing at all happens in the serial putty terminal. Literally nothing. (I even tried pulling the SD Card out and booting it as well, still NOTHING DISPLAYED ON THE TERMINAL AT ALL).

So...Now after three days and $200+ later, I am still sitting here with a non-working device. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!

EDIT: Tried another serial terminal (Termite) and it was able to display: [00] (Not sure if that means anything...it would display that with or without the SD Card inserted).
carsenk

Postby 9600 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:02 am

Firstly, just to check that you have your . If everything looks OK and if you are able to, validate the cable and terminal software by hooking up another board, e.g. a Raspberry Pi.

If the serial cable/terminal checks out OK, I'd then suspect the SD card or its contents. Check that when you copied the files across to the boot partition, you did Step 5 for Windows: rename the FPGA bitstream to parallella.bit.bin. And if you are still getting nowhere, try a different SD card if you can.

With regards SSH, do you not have a broadband router at home with Ethernet ports?

Regards,

Andrew
Andrew Back

Postby gceline » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:46 pm

Please confirm, since this is a board based on the Z7010, the flash here should light up two green LEDs on the board (CR8 and CR10)
If only one is lighting up then the CPU is not waking up and that board is problematic.
Graham
Adapteva
gceline

Postby carsenk » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:19 am

Yes, Only one LED was lighting up on the board. Got in contact with Parallella support and I sent mine in for an RMA. (Getting a replacement).

My board was missing the J14 shortening block when I received it (Also no SD Card or PSU). The shortening block missing could have meant that my board missed QA inspection before it went out to me...I am waiting on a reply from Adapteva to ensure that was the case. I would assume that is what happened, I had diagnosed everything five times over for two days before we realized there was only one green light on the whole time :P

CANT WAIT FOR MY NEW BOARD!!! :) My old DOA board should arrive at Adapteva on Monday, I hope you guys aren't to busy to inspect it and get the new board out! :) Super excited to dig into my Parallella with Ubuntu running :)

I will keep you guys updated when I get my new board and hopefully I will have a picture of it booting up next time :)
carsenk

Postby carsenk » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:09 pm

So I finally got my new board after waiting over 2 weeks (I sent to Parallella with two day shipping...) Yea ridiculous wait time for something that wasen't my fault...

Anyways, plugged in the new board, I seem to be getting two green LEDs this time, and the monitor displays the Tux pengiun and then shows a little cursor at the top left that blinks and nothing happens, even if I leave it on for an hour....What do I do? Why is it not booting up fully? It seems that HDMI is working but nothing actually boots up...
carsenk

Postby carsenk » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:09 am

carsenk

Postby FHuettig » Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:47 am

-- Fred -- Hardware Guy --
FHuettig

Postby carsenk » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:11 am

carsenk

Postby Urhixidur » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:00 pm

I've found that if you use an HDMI-to-DVI adaptor, the Parallella won't recognise the monitor (an identifying handshake must be getting lost in the adaptor, which probably doesn't pass all 19 pins through). It will boot nevertheless, but you'll need to access it through ssh or the serial interface (if you've re-activated it before hand).

This is weird, because the BeagleBone Black recognises the monitor just fine, using the same adaptor. Maybe the Parallella's Xorg config needs to be tweaked to be more tolerant?
Urhixidur

Next

Return to Troubleshooting