[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - Ethernet Not Working?

Ethernet Not Working?

Hardware related problems and workarounds

Ethernet Not Working?

Postby Megamax667 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:49 pm

Well, So far i have had many issues with the board. First my original USB devices i tried to use did not work. I thought it was a power issue so i bought a USB hub. Then that didn't work so i bought a new keyboard and mouse. Finally after weeks of testing and trying different devices i though everything was good because I could boot into Linaro, log in, HDMI was working, etc. However my Ethernet does not work. The weird thing is is that the light on the port of the board blinks just like the lights for my desktop do. As well they blink on the switch that it is connected to. I was thinking it was the switch it was plugged into (a NETGEAR prosafe 8 port gigabit switch), but that is what my desktop and a couple other devices are plugged into and they all have internet connection fine. So now i'm at a loss i have no idea whats wrong and i just want the Ethernet to work so i can set up an open ssh server and work on it from that since i don't care for the Linaro desktop and i like working from command line. Any help is appreciated thanks in advance.
Megamax667

Re: Ethernet Not Working?

Postby over9000 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:50 pm

over9000

Postby Megamax667 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:19 pm

Hey, Thank for the help! It worked...well, sorta. It didn't work after i added the eth2 and eth3 and rebooted but once i added eth1 and rebooted it did work so thanks. Now to get firefox to not crash on opening :).
Megamax667

Postby 9600 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:34 pm

If Ethernet is not working it's possible that it's being enumerated as eth2 or eth3 etc. rather than eth1. Hence why updating /etc/network/interfaces is one way to resolve this. However, in such cases the issue comes about due to the file /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules not having being deleted before the Linux image was published.

This was the case with the Debian image I created — I forgot to delete 70-persistent-net.rules before uploading. A better solution is to delete that file, so that it will be automatically recreated upon the next boot and will map your particular board's Ethernet MAC address to eth1.

@over9000 The U-boot bootloader is store in flash and this is loaded before Linux. However, if your Ethernet enumerates as eth1 on one board and as eth2 or eth3 etc. on others, it is probably because 70-persistent-net.rules didn't exist before the SD card was inserted into the first board. Then when you plugged that same SD card into another board Linux found a new MAC address and decided to enumerate that interface as eth2, and so on...

Cheers,

Andrew
Andrew Back

Postby over9000 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:25 pm

Glad it worked, megamax.

Also, thanks for the explanation, 9600. So it's probably not a different u-boot installed after all. Just that my Linux is treating each eth as a different device thanks to differing mac address. I hadn't considered that possibility ...
over9000

Return to Troubleshooting