[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - Can't quite finish booting

Can't quite finish booting

Hardware related problems and workarounds

Can't quite finish booting

Postby jjg » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:24 pm

Hey all, tried my best to square this away before bothering you with a probably common question, but I'm not sure where to go next.

Made a boot disk and tried to boot up on the network, but the board never DHCP'd an address.

Hooked up a serial console and watched the boot sequence, and it ends with the following lines:

VFS: Mounted root (ext4 filesystem) on device 179:2.
Freeing unused kernel memory: 188K (c0878000 - c08a7000)
Mount failed for selinuxfs on /sys/fs/selinux: No such file or directory
��+�� plymouth-upstart-bridge main process ended, respawningwith status 1

I tried re-flashing the SD card, but get the same result. It's entirely possible I messed up the SD card prep, but I tried it a few different ways and it's always the same result. I'm using Debian Wheezy, and I'd like to install the headless image.

Any thoughts on why I'm getting stuck at boot?

Thanks!

- Jason
jjg

Re: Can't quite finish booting

Postby 9600 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:30 pm

Hi Jason,

If you're are using my unofficial Debian image it's likely that the network is not being configured as I neglected to delete /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules before uploading the image, which means that the Ethernet on your board will be set up as eth2 and DHCP will only get started by default on eth1. Can you mount the SD card root filesystem from another machine and delete 70-persistent-net.rules so that it gets recreated and maps your board's MAC address to eth1.

Regards,

Andrew
Andrew Back

Postby jjg » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:03 pm

I'm using the Ubuntu distro from this page:

http://www.parallella.org/create-sdcard/

If things are working should I expect to get a login prompt via the serial console or am I crazy? :)

Thanks!
jjg

Postby patwood » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:48 pm

Take a look at this thread: viewtopic.php?f=48&t=1328&start=10&hilit=serial

The serial weirdness is caused by multiple gettys running at different baud rates. After making the changes to /etc/init/console.conf and /etc/default/autogetty, I have no problems logging into the serial console.
patwood

Postby jjg » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:41 pm

Thank-you patwood, I'm now in via serial!

Next step is to figure out what's up with the network interface, but I see a lot of pointers around here to dig into on that subject.

Thanks again!

- Jason
jjg

Return to Troubleshooting