Weak USB Host connector

Hardware related problems and workarounds

Weak USB Host connector

Postby errolt » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:23 am

Hi All,

I don't know if this has been discussed, could not find anything.

Just a note, the USB-AB connector on my Kickstarter edition board is very weak. The solder pads that mechanically hold the connector on the board is weak and can easily be torn off, taking the connector, and sometimes, some of the 5 USB pads with it.

This morning I accidentally dropped my Parallella with the Micro B to USB A convertor cable plugged in and it tore the connector off. I know that I should not have dropped it, but I have also dropped my Samsung Galaxy S3 a few times while charging, bending the connector on the charging cable, but the connector on the phone is fine.

I would suggest that, if it has not been done already, that there should be a few vias per mechanical pad to help anchor the pads to the PCB. This will prevent the mechanical pads from delaminating and thus make the whole connector stronger.

Thank you,
Errol
errolt

Re: Weak USB Host connector

Postby aolofsson » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:17 pm

Errol,
Thanks for the feedback! Unfortunately the micro-USB connector tends to be weak on all devices (no through hole). On consumer devices it's solved through serious stress relief done by the enclosure. We'll look into making the pads sturdier to try to help. The biggest challenge is definitely with shear force (based on breaking boards on purpose)).
Andreas
aolofsson

Return to Troubleshooting