[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - USB workaround

USB workaround

Hardware related problems and workarounds

Re: USB workaround

Postby Sean S » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:24 pm

Yes please! The board is destined for the bin after all of the frustration. If it gets bricked it will be the end of my frustration :-)
Sean S

Postby Sean S » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:49 am

Hi

Can anyone advise if this is the latest image for the FSBL in the QSPI flash:

https://github.com/parallella/parallell ... 1/firmware

Is it compatible with all boards?

Thanks in advance.
Sean
Sean S

Postby FHuettig » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:44 pm

-- Fred -- Hardware Guy --
FHuettig

Postby ESI » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:40 pm

Hello,
what I understand the problem can be solved via a defined reset after the ULPI-related pins are configured.
(USB-Pins are all MIO-Pins, none are connect through FPGA(EMIO), if I read the schematics correctly. So they are configured in FSBL and never touched afterwards, configuring FPGA should not have anything to do with it)
Using the LED-pin is only one (clever!!) solution.
What does Linux do, if I assert a reset to the Ethernet phy and the USB phy during a running system, right?
In my understaning neither of these phys need initialization. I that case any MIO or FPGA-Pin could assert a reset, if connected to BOARD_RESET_L, right?
Is there any unused pin on any pad availlable for this work? Or is the LED pin the best to go with?
br
Joerg
ESI

Postby ajtravis » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:40 pm

Minke Informatics Limited, Registered in Scotland - Company No. SC419028
ajtravis

Postby greytery » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:50 pm

Hi Tony,

Many possible reasons and workrounds are discussed in the threads, and the Parallella does seem to be sensitive and sulky at power up, but I initially suspect the PSU. The USB peripherals can put different loads on the boards during power up - and perhaps the combined pull may be erratic/unstable.

Can't remember exactly, but didn't you point at that snazzy 4-port USB PSU charger from Maplin?
Were you using that?
What peripherals were connected to each board?
Can you try with just one connected.. two , etc...?

I count myself extrememly lucky that I've never had USB, HDMI or network issues on my 7010 boards; I speak from a rather smug position.

Cheers,
tery
greytery

Postby ajtravis » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:37 pm

Minke Informatics Limited, Registered in Scotland - Company No. SC419028
ajtravis

Postby Frida » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:53 pm

@Tony
To see, if you have the same problems as I, then try an startup, and when it has done that, hit the reset-button shortly, and let it startup again. Now it should be possible to login.

I am now working on a delay circuit, to see how long time I can delay it after reset.
Frida

Postby FHuettig » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:03 pm

-- Fred -- Hardware Guy --
FHuettig

Postby greytery » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:11 pm

@ Tony: Thanks for answers (- and I did like the charger, BTW).

Frida's point about a delay circuit triggers another thought...
The random success/failure may be a race condition (cf PC BIOS delay setting for HDD initialisation).

Looking at the uBoot environment variables - as part of the topic: . There is a variable : bootdelay=0.

What is the effect of changing this value to, say, 5 (seconds)? Or more?
Would this give things time to 'settle down' before kernel boots to look for USB, HDMI, etc?

I can't test this - because I don't have the problems :)
It's sort of firmware .. but it's safer than reflashing!!!!

Cheers,
tery
greytery

PreviousNext

Return to Troubleshooting