No Mouse/Keyboard from Login

Hardware related problems and workarounds

No Mouse/Keyboard from Login

Postby Litehouse43 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:08 am

Hi all,

Just booted up my board for the first time (woot!) and made it to the login screen without any issues. I'm having trouble however getting the board to recognize my mouse/keyboard. I tried a number of different ones on both USB ports. I'm currently running a mini-usb to usb converter before the peripherals. Should I try a hub? Are they unpowered ports? I noticed one line item failed on the boot but couldn't see what it was in time. Could that also be the issue? Any recommendations would be appreciated.

~Jack
Litehouse43

Re: No Mouse/Keyboard from Login

Postby sebraa » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:57 pm

You can use "dmesg | more" to read the kernel messages. There should be an indication of what failed and why.

To me, the USB port has always been flaky, so I stopped using it (SSH only). Be careful with USB hubs: wrong hubs may damage the USB port.
sebraa

Postby ajtravis » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:10 pm

Litehouse43 wrote:Hi all,

Just booted up my board for the first time (woot!) and made it to the login screen without any issues. I'm having trouble however getting the board to recognize my mouse/keyboard. I tried a number of different ones on both USB ports. I'm currently running a mini-usb to usb converter before the peripherals. Should I try a hub? Are they unpowered ports? I noticed one line item failed on the boot but couldn't see what it was in time. Could that also be the issue? Any recommendations would be appreciated.

~Jack

Hi, Jack.

AFAIK, the 'rear' USB connector (next to the 'barrel' connector) is only present as an alternative 5v power connector and I'm using it to power my four Parallellas from an 8A four-way USB charger. Note that you have to change the jumper next to the barrel power connector to use the USB connector instead.

I've *really* been struggling to get the USB to work properly. In desperation I bought a (very expensive) Belkin 7-way powered USB hub and this improved matters, but USB initialisation is still hit and miss. My advice is buy a 'name-brand' powered hub.

I find that if I power up, halt Linux, then press the reset button on the board the USB PHY is detected and USB initialised by the Linux kernel more often than not. However, rebooting or resetting in software from the "zynq" prompt does not work.

Although this is a relatively small problem in comparison to the real challenges that Adapteva have solved in making Parallella a reality, I think that the USB not working reliably is damaging the extremely positive pre-production publicity that Parallella has enjoyed because people are actually trying to use Parallella now and discovering that their USB mice and keyboards don't work.

Bear in mind that you can also connect a USB-TTL adapter to the 3-pin UART connection, which is extremely useful for debugging. The advice to "SSH" into a parallella 'blind' is not good if your system is not correctly configured on your network and it relies on you having a DHCP server to connect to (e.g. a broadband router/modem/switch).

HTH,

Tony.
Minke Informatics Limited, Registered in Scotland - Company No. SC419028
ajtravis

Postby Sean S » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:56 pm

Hello

As you now are aware, there is an issue with getting the USB to work. Lots of people have shared their experience here:

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=1031

It is a known issue but resolution is slow...

Good luck

Sean
Sean S

Return to Troubleshooting