[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - High temp reading with Xtemp - 95

High temp reading with Xtemp - 95

Hardware related problems and workarounds

High temp reading with Xtemp - 95

Postby AndyC » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:35 pm

Hi Guys,

I have my Parallella 16 Z7020 setup here. New one with large heatsink installed as per instructions on site.

Just running vncserver and Xtemp so basically ideleing but the reported temp is 95.

This seems a little high! Ambient here is about 25 at the moment.

Any ideas?

Andy
AndyC

Re: High temp reading with Xtemp - 95

Postby FHuettig » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:55 pm

Hi Andy,

95 is much too hot, you want to keep the xtemp readings below 70 or as close as possible. By any chance are you running your board inside a case or other enclosed space? The heat sink, _any_ air-cooled heat sink, is only good at transferring heat to the surrrounding air and then the hot air must be replaced with cooler air. This replacement can happen by convection or be forced by a fan, but if there is nowhere for the hot air to go it will just continue to heat up. The large heatsinks are only "fanless" if operated in the open, any enclosure will require a fan. HTH
-- Fred -- Hardware Guy --
FHuettig

Postby AndyC » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:05 pm

Hi, Thanks for the reply.

It is just sitting on the desk.

I turned it off and let it cool down till the heatsink was cool to the touch.

Then I started it up and used the script on the forum to display temp using watch. Cpu load is around 10% using top.

Started at 65 and is gradually working its way up, currently at 77C after maybe 5 minutes. The heatsink is nowhere near that hot though, I can hold my fingers on it with no problem.
AndyC

Postby AndyC » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:19 pm

Ok, it stabilised at 77.

So I loaded up the two cores and left it running.

It seems pretty stable at 79C, I must have misread 95 on the temp display, it was a bit garbled!

I'm going to shut it down for an hour or so and try it again....
AndyC

Postby AndyC » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:02 pm

Ok, I really don't understand this temp readings.

I have run tests with HDMI and Headless

HDMI idle : 77C
HDMI 200% CPU Load 80C

Headless idle: 76C
Headless 200% CPU load: 79C

So basically the difference I see between idle and 200%CPU is only 3C

Surely this must be a bad temp sensor?
AndyC

Postby FHuettig » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:08 pm

-- Fred -- Hardware Guy --
FHuettig

Postby AndyC » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:52 am

Ok Thanks.

So what would you say my issue may be?

I fixed the thermal tape as per the instructions, the heatsink does get pretty hot after a while.

Do you think it is worth removing the heatsink and reapplying it with new tape or does the big heatsink require a fan as well?

Thanks for any help

Andy
AndyC

Postby AndyC » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:14 am

ok, I got a 6cm 12V pc fan and laid it on top of the heatsink drawing air up.

Running this at 5V keeps the heatsink very cool, and at 200% cpu load the temp is 57C

So this maybe looks like my solution.
AndyC

Postby deviantlamb » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:08 am

do you have access to a temp probe of some kind to validate the temps on? mainly the base of the heatsink.
Secondly are you sure your chip (both of them!) are in fact well contacted to the heatsink?
deviantlamb

Postby AndyC » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:17 am

Nope, using the temp sensor on the zynq.

My bet is the chips are well contacted to the heatsink as the heatsink gets extremely hot when the fan is not used, but of course I have no proof.
AndyC

Next

Return to Troubleshooting