No Penguins?

Hardware related problems and workarounds

No Penguins?

Postby JohnR » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:51 pm

I now have my Parallella set up with a keyboard and mouse connected via an unpowered hub and both seem to work.

The serial output is connected via a MM232R serial-USB converter and accessed using TeraTerm which seems to work fine.

Ethernet is not connected yet.

The board is powered by a lab power supply and at 5.0V draws 1100mA.

The monitor is a Bravia display running in HDMI mode.

At bootup the Parallela logo is displayed but the screen resolution seems wrong as all I see is the logo and
there is no sign of a Linux desktop. Nor do I see at any stage the Linux penguins.

What should I be seeing at this stage?

The demo 'screensavers'( the fireworks(?) and falling shapes(?) displays ) seem to overfill the screen.

How do set the screen resolution?

Thanks for any help
JohnR

Re: No Penguins?

Postby cmcconnell » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:25 pm

Is your monitor a TV display, defaulting to overscan mode?

I was initially caught out by that with my LG TV/monitor. Switching the aspect ratio from 'original' to 'just scan' revealed the missing edges of the desktop.
Colin.
cmcconnell

Postby JohnR » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:35 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I have tried fiddling with the controls on the monitor without success. There does not seem to be a control to set the aspect ratio?

Any more suggestions welcome

John.
JohnR

Postby cmcconnell » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:28 pm

Well, it's not really the aspect ratio that is being set, in any case. It's just that that is the particular menu where LG have chosen to put the overscan option on my TV.

I put the words 'Sony Brava overscan' into Google and came up with this -
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1113758
On the Bravia I selected HOME > Settings > Setup > Screen Settings > Display Area

It was set to NORMAL
I changed it to FULL PIXEL
Colin.
cmcconnell

Postby JohnR » Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:31 am

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I am now finally more or less in business.

After bootup and with the Parallella logo displayed, I could not still get the full Linux display but noticed there was a mostly- hidden partial bar off the bottom of the screen. After trying different Bravia settings without luck, I dragged the bar on to screen and then set its position for vertical and screen right hand position, so that now at least I can navigate.

JohnR.
JohnR

Return to Troubleshooting