[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - No Penguins?

No Penguins?

Hardware related problems and workarounds

No Penguins?

Postby JohnR » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:51 pm

I now have my Parallella set up with a keyboard and mouse connected via an unpowered hub and both seem to work.

The serial output is connected via a MM232R serial-USB converter and accessed using TeraTerm which seems to work fine.

Ethernet is not connected yet.

The board is powered by a lab power supply and at 5.0V draws 1100mA.

The monitor is a Bravia display running in HDMI mode.

At bootup the Parallela logo is displayed but the screen resolution seems wrong as all I see is the logo and
there is no sign of a Linux desktop. Nor do I see at any stage the Linux penguins.

What should I be seeing at this stage?

The demo 'screensavers'( the fireworks(?) and falling shapes(?) displays ) seem to overfill the screen.

How do set the screen resolution?

Thanks for any help
JohnR

Re: No Penguins?

Postby cmcconnell » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:25 pm

Is your monitor a TV display, defaulting to overscan mode?

I was initially caught out by that with my LG TV/monitor. Switching the aspect ratio from 'original' to 'just scan' revealed the missing edges of the desktop.
Colin.
cmcconnell

Postby JohnR » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:35 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I have tried fiddling with the controls on the monitor without success. There does not seem to be a control to set the aspect ratio?

Any more suggestions welcome

John.
JohnR

Postby cmcconnell » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:28 pm

Colin.
cmcconnell

Postby JohnR » Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:31 am

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I am now finally more or less in business.

After bootup and with the Parallella logo displayed, I could not still get the full Linux display but noticed there was a mostly- hidden partial bar off the bottom of the screen. After trying different Bravia settings without luck, I dragged the bar on to screen and then set its position for vertical and screen right hand position, so that now at least I can navigate.

JohnR.
JohnR

Return to Troubleshooting