[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - USB Issue Troubleshooting

USB Issue Troubleshooting

Hardware related problems and workarounds

Re: USB Issue Troubleshooting

Postby slip » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:15 am

Hello,

I'm also adding myself to the list of people having problems.

lsusb always gives me
unable to initialize libusb: -99

* Failure mode (sometimes or always?)
Always. I have not been successful in getting USB or HDMI working.

* Headless/hdmi configuration
I first tried Headless then switched to the HDMI version which I've been using for most of my tests.

* FPGA/Linux/Ubuntu version being used
Linux linaro-nano 3.12.0-g0bc9c3a-dirty #6 SMP PREEMPT Wed Jan 29 10:25:25 CET 2014 armv7l armv7l armv7l GNU/Linux

* Fan used?
No. But in a cold environment, the heatsink isn't getting very warm as the board is mostly idling.

* SKU#
P1601-01, SN 0017912 (The large heatsink didn't make this easy).

* Power supply used
USB cable coming from a powerboard with USB power plugs. No indication of power problems.

I have tried
- Power cycling the board with and without each of the peripherals attached.
- Although there isn't a reset switch on my board I have bridged the switch pads to successfully reset the board.

The board boots every time. I can ssh into it without problems.
I have not had any success with USB or HDMI.

USB notes:
I am using a USB adaptor. I've tried a number of peripherals:
- Wireless USB dongle for Logitech Keyboard and Mouse
- SanDisk USB drive
- USB sound card.

HDMI notes:
No signal is detected by the monitor I am using with HDMI. I have tried three different monitors:
- BENQ G2410HD w/HDMI
- DELL 2405FPW w/DVI-HDMI adaptor
- LG 24EA53

Edit: Not having USB practically renders the board useless to me.

Cheers
slip

Postby ajtravis » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:30 am

Minke Informatics Limited, Registered in Scotland - Company No. SC419028
ajtravis

Postby tnt » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:47 am

Not sure what you mean by "USB cable coming from a powerboard with USB power plugs. No indication of power problems" in the power supply question.

The only supported powering method is through the barrel jack. Applying power through any other path might bypass or interact with the proper power sequencing and reset.
tnt

Postby ajtravis » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:22 pm

ajtravis

Postby tnt » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:35 pm

I'd argue that you can't feed power through the holes without soldering and soldering on the board would understandably void your warranty, so I'd hardly call that supported.
There is a difference between what works and what's the recommended ways are ...

I power mine through manually soldered wires on some random pads on the 5V rail, if something goes wrong I don't see myself go complain to adapteva ...
tnt

Postby slip » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:47 am

slip

Postby davewr2015 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:47 pm

davewr2015

Postby ajtravis » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:37 pm

ajtravis

Postby lanscene » Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:38 am

I use a 7010 with HDMI board, USB doesn't work in most time.
I think most people use ssh/vnc to login to the parallella, so they don't need to use KB & mouse attached to USB, so, not many people report this issue.
but I am sure this is a hw fault with (at least) type 7010 with HDMI.
lanscene

Postby ajtravis » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:13 am

ajtravis

PreviousNext

Return to Troubleshooting