got some problem with my board

Hardware related problems and workarounds

got some problem with my board

Postby tthtlc » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:35 am

just followed the quick guide. flashed the ubuntu 14.04 image, and copied both the kernel and untar it, and then the paralella.bit.bin (z7020 version, headless one), and after that powerup (with and without 5V, just USB alone) and got nothing appearing in the USB host side (should it be /dev/ttyUSB0?)?

I don't have any micro-USB for HDMI so cannot have the HDMI based monitor. It is something wrong?
tthtlc

Re: got some problem with my board

Postby 9600 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:53 am

tthtlc wrote:and after that powerup (with and without 5V, just USB alone) and got nothing appearing in the USB host side (should it be /dev/ttyUSB0?)?

You mean to say you are looking for /dev/ttyUSB0 or similar appearing on another machine when you connect the Parallella to its USB? The Parallella board will not appear as a USB device. It does have a UART, but this is access via the 3-pin header and 3v3 logic.

Regards,

Andrew
Andrew Back (a.k.a. 9600 / carrierdetect)

Postby ajtravis » Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:37 am

9600 wrote:
tthtlc wrote:and after that powerup (with and without 5V, just USB alone) and got nothing appearing in the USB host side (should it be /dev/ttyUSB0?)?

You mean to say you are looking for /dev/ttyUSB0 or similar appearing on another machine when you connect the Parallella to its USB? The Parallella board will not appear as a USB device. It does have a UART, but this is access via the 3-pin header and 3v3 logic.

Hi, Andrew.

Actually, the Parallella is supposed to impliment USB OTG, so it should change mode and appear as a USB slave device if connected to another computer - I'm not saying it does, just pointing out that is what USB OTG is designed to be used for ;-)
[See: http://www.usb.org/developers/onthego/]

However it says otherwise here on the Wiki http://elinux.org/Parallella_Hardware:
Final (Gen1.1)
A Parallella Gen1.1 board

Fixes include:

Fixed HDMI wiring issue
Made the USB port host-mode only as default build option
Removed flaky mechanical jumper for 5V mounting hole power feed
Added more ground vias for improved thermal performance
Changed Tantalum caps to ceramic caps to avoid material procurement issues

Bye,

Tony.
Last edited by ajtravis on Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Minke Informatics Limited, Registered in Scotland - Company No. SC419028
ajtravis

Postby tthtlc » Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:59 pm

Hi Andrew,

Wow, good that u said "3.3V" as I definitely don't want to burn my board with a 5V version. After connecting, TX/RX/GND, I got the bootup message as here:

http://pastebin.com/58EwwLMT

Ended with the following errors:

Code: Select all
NET: Registered protocol family 17
Registering SWP/SWPB emulation handler
drivers/rtc/hctosys.c: unable to open rtc device (rtc0)
ALSA device list:
  No soundcards found.
EXT4-fs (mmcblk0p2): recovery complete
EXT4-fs (mmcblk0p2): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode. Opts: (null)
VFS: Mounted root (ext4 filesystem) on device 179:2.
Freeing unused kernel memory: 188K (c0878000 - c08a7000)
Mount failed for selinuxfs on /sys/fs/selinux:  No such file or directory
�������+ˋ� plymouth-upstart-bridge main process ended, respawningstatus 1

the console login prompt did not come through.

I check the device tree file (following the link: http://www.parallella.org/forums/viewto ... 6&start=30) and after dtc decompilation of DTB to DTS file, modified as per the follwoing content, recompile back to DTB file, everything WORKS.

chosen {
                bootargs = "console=ttyPS0,115200 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rw rootfstype=ext4 rootwait";
                linux,stdout-path = "/amba@0/uart@E0001000";
        };
};

Thanks!!!!
tthtlc

Postby 9600 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:48 pm

Glad to hear you are now and up and running :)
Andrew Back (a.k.a. 9600 / carrierdetect)

Postby hbelabs » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:57 am

My parallella board has a few issues. Basically, its two ARM cores seem to work OK. But,

1) I could not get HDMI to work. I only could get the non-HDMI versions to boot. I set up ssh and use vnc no problem.
It does (see #2) come up with its two lights and network card lights, but requires several power cycles to get
it working (via the network).

2) I hooked up the serial connection and tried various terminal programs like screen, minicom, and gtkterm
to view the raw boot info. Quite often, I would have to try to cycle the power four of five times to bring it
to life. I only get unintelligible garbage on the terminal. I believe I hooked it up correctly, but obviously, I
am having trouble.

3) When I run any epiphany code in the linaro directory, it immediately freezes (network only?), but my configuration
(no meaningful serial connection and no HDMI) requires me to recycle the power to get it working again (to try
another program).

Again, the dual core ARM is working fine. I have converted (quite slowly) 150 TV shows using avconv - it doesn't
get too hot. I don't have a fan on it, it only has the big heat sink that came with it, and I am using the 5VDC power
supply that also came with it. I got it near the end of August right from Amazon.

Any help to make it get serial, HDMI, and epiphany working would make it much more useful. Please ask for any
relevant specs. Thank you.
--
Bob Jones
hbelabs

Postby ajtravis » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:37 pm

hbelabs wrote:[...]
2) I hooked up the serial connection and tried various terminal programs like screen, minicom, and gtkterm
to view the raw boot info. Quite often, I would have to try to cycle the power four of five times to bring it
to life. I only get unintelligible garbage on the terminal. I believe I hooked it up correctly, but obviously, I
am having trouble.
[...]

Hi, Bob.

The Zynq UART should work *without* an SD card present - The baud rate is set to 115200 by default, but AFAIK there is no flow control: That means you will sometimes get 'garbage' displayed if your terminal emulator can't keep up. Just in case, check your connection is like this (look on the silk screening next to the 3-pin connector):
Paralella serial cable for UART 3-pin connector
TX: white
RX: green
GND: black
NC: red

What I do is connect a USB-TTL cable to the UART 3-pin connector and run "screen" on another Linux computer before powering up the Parallella. If you do this *without* an SD card inserted, you should end up at the U-Boot prompt: Set "bootdelay", so you can interrupt the boot sequence on the next reboot with your SD card inserted.
screen /dev/ttyUSB0 115200
zynq-uboot> set bootdelay=5
zynq-uboot> saveenv

Whatever happens when the Parallella boots, you should now have 5s to interrupt the boot sequence. In the case of a non-functional HDMI, you can still use a device tree that directs kernel console output to the UART, but you would have to use another Linux PC to compile it unless you can ssh into your Parallella. As I understand it, the serial console is disabled by default when using HDMI because it is less likely that you will have a serial terminal/emulator attached. However, because of problems I've had with the USB initialisation on my parallella cards, I've been using the Serial console instead. Let me know if you need a .dtb for HDMI with kernel output to the serial console. If you're doing it yourself:
# update device tree
aptitude install device-tree-compiler
mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /mnt
cd /mnt
cp devicetree.dtb devicetree.dtb.bak
dtc -I dtb -O dts -o devicetree.dts devicetree.dtb
vim devicetree.dts
bootargs = "console=ttyPS0,115200 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rw rootfstype=ext4 rootwait";
dtc -I dts -O dtb -o devicetree.dtb devicetree.dts

# unmount and remove uSD card
cd
umount /mnt
sync;sync

HTH,

Tony.
Minke Informatics Limited, Registered in Scotland - Company No. SC419028
ajtravis

Return to Troubleshooting