USB not working

Hardware related problems and workarounds

USB not working

Postby tunnuz » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:09 am

Hi there,
I got my Parallella shipped in Italy two weeks ago, as I was having an holiday there (I am based in Australia). Since day zero, the USB port close to the micro-HDMI port wouldn't work. It doesn't power on the board, and devices attached to it do not work either. The plan was to use it for powering the Parallella, and to use the other port to attach USB devices. In the end, I bought a 5V 2A power supply from RS components.
Now I have a powered USB hub attached to the (working?) USB port (the one close to the ethernet port), however devices attached to it don't get recognized. Here is the output of lsusb:

Code: Select all
tunnuz@linaro-nano$ lsusb
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

The verbose options gives this:

tunnuz@linaro-nano:~/src/parallella-linux-xcomm_zynq$ lsusb -v

Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Couldn't open device, some information will be missing
Device Descriptor:
  bLength                18
  bDescriptorType         1
  bcdUSB               2.00
  bDeviceClass            9 Hub
  bDeviceSubClass         0 Unused
  bDeviceProtocol         1 Single TT
  bMaxPacketSize0        64
  idVendor           0x1d6b Linux Foundation
  idProduct          0x0002 2.0 root hub
  bcdDevice            3.12
  iManufacturer           3
  iProduct                2
  iSerial                 1
  bNumConfigurations      1
  Configuration Descriptor:
    bLength                 9
    bDescriptorType         2
    wTotalLength           25
    bNumInterfaces          1
    bConfigurationValue     1
    iConfiguration          0
    bmAttributes         0xe0
      Self Powered
      Remote Wakeup
    MaxPower                0mA
    Interface Descriptor:
      bLength                 9
      bDescriptorType         4
      bInterfaceNumber        0
      bAlternateSetting       0
      bNumEndpoints           1
      bInterfaceClass         9 Hub
      bInterfaceSubClass      0 Unused
      bInterfaceProtocol      0 Full speed (or root) hub
      iInterface              0
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x81  EP 1 IN
        bmAttributes            3
          Transfer Type            Interrupt
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0004  1x 4 bytes
        bInterval              12

I get the same output whether the hub is connected to the port or not. Can you help me?

Cheers,
Tunnuz
tunnuz

Re: USB not working

Postby greytery » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:45 am

Hi,
Quick response - but you need to check the workaround posts.
tunnuz wrote:.. the USB port close to the micro-HDMI port wouldn't work. It doesn't power on the board, and devices attached to it do not work either.

There's been some confusion, but the manual has been made clearer lately.
The "micro-HDMI"-end USB port can't be used to power the board but is used for USB peripherals. A powered hub is recommended/needed (tick!)
The ''Ethernet'-end USB connector can only be used as an alternative power input to a 5V 2A supply (tick!). No USB logic behind that interface.
You still seem to be having problems, so please check out the workarounds under the other 'USB not working' theme.

Cheers,
tery
greytery

Postby tunnuz » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:49 am

Hi greytery, thanks for your reply. I also have an update: the USB port near the micro-HDMI is actually powered (I tried to plug in a 3G dongle and it blinks, however no peripherals are detected). By reading the various posts, looks like I should try to reboot the board several times, in the hope that the USB starts working. I'll try that.
tunnuz

Postby tunnuz » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:27 pm

So I now plugged the powered hub to the correct USB plug, and what I get from lsusb is

unable to initialize libusb: -99

I have tried several restarts, same result. Any ideas?
tunnuz

Postby tunnuz » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:29 am

Help? :)
tunnuz

Postby ajtravis » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:08 pm

tunnuz wrote:Help? :)

Hi, tunnuz.

I've also had USB problems with my 4@SKU101020 cards...

Please take a look at this thread to see how to report your USB problems to Adapteva: http://forums.parallella.org/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=1650&start=20#p10185.

HTH,

Tony.
Minke Informatics Limited, Registered in Scotland - Company No. SC419028
ajtravis

Postby ka6s » Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:26 pm

I haven't seen any resolution to this either.

When can we expect to get a solution fielded - or do we get an RMA to get the boards fixed?

Steve
ka6s

Postby ajtravis » Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:11 am

ka6s wrote:I haven't seen any resolution to this either.

When can we expect to get a solution fielded - or do we get an RMA to get the boards fixed?

Hi, Steve.

Adapteva gave me an RMA for one of my boards and are investigating what is wrong with it, but Fred told me they don't get the same errors as I did when testing my card. I've tested a replacement card they sent me *exactly* the same way I tested my card: The replacement card from Adapteva is a different SKU (P1601-DK03) and USB works much better BUT it has problems with a powered USB hub and it does not initialise the USB PHY unless something is plugged into the USB OTG socket. That should not be necessary and is not needed on e.g. the Raspberry Pi USB.

Adapteva have been extremely helpful about this and have invested a lot of time trying to resolve the problem. I'd really like people who have USB problems to respond to Andreas' request to report USB problems consistently. If only a few of us respond, we can't blame them for thinking that the USB problem only affects a few people - I don't think it does: I think it is a fundamental design flaw that needs to be addressed. However, if it really *is* only a few of us affected then I think Adapeva would be wise to issue RMA's for all the boards affected and refute my allegation that there is a design flaw affecting USB initialisation.

Bye,

Tony.
ajtravis

Postby tunnuz » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:11 am

I asked RS for a replacement, they told me I can get a new one if I send the old one back. However, since about 50% of the boards seem to be affected, I wonder if this makes sense at all. I guess that I will try my luck. I am really sad, though, since I think this is a great product, however I am not able to use it. Also, the response from adapteva feels a bit unsatisfactory to me.
tunnuz

Postby ajtravis » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:45 am

tunnuz wrote:I asked RS for a replacement, they told me I can get a new one if I send the old one back. However, since about 50% of the boards seem to be affected, I wonder if this makes sense at all. I guess that I will try my luck. I am really sad, though, since I think this is a great product, however I am not able to use it. Also, the response from adapteva feels a bit unsatisfactory to me.

Hi, tunnuz.

I'm disappointed about the USB problems too, but let's not forget that this was a crowd-funded kickstarter project and I think Adapteva have done well to bring Parallella to market. My only criticism of Adapteva is my perception that they did not take the USB problem seriously until now. The USB is the Achilles heel of the Parallella for one of its intended applications as a desktop computer in competition with the Rasperry Pi and other similar 'credit-card' form-factor SBC's. However, my interactions with Adapteva give me the impression that they are helpful and taking the problems we have experienced with the USB seriously. It's vital that everyone who is experiencing problems with the USB interface reports them consistently as Andreas requested.

Bye,

Tony.
ajtravis

Next

Return to Troubleshooting