[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - Headless image fails to boot

Headless image fails to boot

Hardware related problems and workarounds

Headless image fails to boot

Postby neilt » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:55 pm

I've had trouble getting my parallella board to boot reliably using the headless image, but the HDMI image works fine. Using the headless image, it boots fine about 10% of the time. I can ssh in and run xtemp etc... About 20% of the time, it responds to 4 or 5 pings and then gives up. The rest of the time, it doesn't respond to any pings.

My board has 16 Epiphany cores and a Z7020. I downloaded the images from http://www.parallella.org/create-sdcard/ both yesterday and today. Is this problem specific to my board? Is there likely to be a problem with the board which I'll run into later?

The md5sums of the images I'm using are:
8eab4b6228e32a0432279f76de51300f kernel-hdmi-default.tgz
dd8f076b7fa778fa1a1ed70f947e09f6 kernel-headless-default.tgz
d920ca30ce6c1a9b1da841fa18e5dda3 parallella_e16_hdmi_gpiose_7020.bit.bin
74faaeb898dd14b8d5b716e84726b9b0 parallella_e16_headless_gpiose_7020.bit.bin

When I attached a serial port and tried to boot the headless image, the last few lines were:
EXT4-fs (mmcblk0p2): recovery complete
EXT4-fs (mmcblk0p2): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode. Opts: (null)
VFS: Mounted root (ext4 filesystem) on device 179:2.
Freeing unused kernel memory: 188K (c0878000 - c08a7000)
Mount failed for selinuxfs on /sys/fs/selinux: No such file or directory

Sometimes, that is followed by:
init: plymouth-upstart-bridge main process (883) terminated with status 1

Sometimes, it gets as far as:
Starting fake hwclock: loading system time. ended, respawningith status 1
Wed Jun 11 14:17:01 UTC 2014
[ OK ]ting up X socket directories...
neilt

Re: Headless image fails to boot

Postby 9600 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:14 pm

Please try this alternate devicetree for headless use, posted by Fred:

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=1622&p=10037#p10037

Regards,

Andrew
Andrew Back

Postby neilt » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:11 pm

Thanks Andrew. That seems to have fixed it.

In case it's useful, my symptoms are not quite the same as in the other thread; Attaching a UART doesn't seem to fix the problem.

Cheers,
Neil.
neilt

Postby 9600 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:47 am

Glad to hear it and thank you for the helpful feedback.

Cheers,

Andrew
Andrew Back

Return to Troubleshooting