Jumper J15 not powering the mounting hole

Hardware related problems and workarounds

Jumper J15 not powering the mounting hole

Postby gustable » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:25 pm

I'm trying to power a fan at this point, from the mounting holes. The soldering went well, and the first board works fine. I now have no power to the mounting hole on board #2. I tried switching the actual jumper connector and it seems to have no effect. Both boards work as expected when powered via the barrel connector.

So in effect, I soldered the connection advised for the power via the mounting holes on the two boards I bought. Now only one of them can be powered via the mounting holes. Wondering if anyone else has this problem? I'm afraid it may be a bad jumper or something. The solder is clean and no other parts are connected. Advice? (reprint from Technical Q&A now deleted)
gustable

Re: Jumper J15 not powering the mounting hole

Postby frep » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:35 pm

Hi gustable

Just to get sure: Are you powering the second board also from the barrel jack? Otherwise, there will be no voltage at the mounting holes.
I wasn't aware of that as I tried to get the fan running, while powering from the usb. :)

Have a look at the schematic
Attachments
ParallellaPower.png
ParallellaPower.png (66.63 KiB) Viewed 17701 times
frep

Postby gustable » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:03 pm

Hi Frep -

Thanks for responding. I actually was powering both boards via their independent barrel jacks.

Thanks for the schem!

-Gus
gustable

Postby frep » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:34 pm

Hi Gus

Since you have chosen the correct power source (unlike me first), I don't see much room left for errors.
I would recommend to check the fan, and if it's okay grabbing a voltmeter to check the connection (especially before and after your soldering). Good luck!
frep

Postby gustable » Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:54 pm

Yup. I checked the fan. Both fans work on Board #1 power holes, but not Board #2.

I'm afraid I may need an RMA. Any idea on how to do that?

Thanks,
Gus
gustable

Return to Troubleshooting