[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - cannot login

cannot login

Hardware related problems and workarounds

cannot login

Postby Lou_Reed » Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:27 pm

Okay, I was unable to log in to my Parallella card yesterday. I am not sure if I tried the password too many times or that I just cannot remember the password. the software might only allow so many logons before shutting you out for a period.

So how do I recover my password? By using John the Ripper or is there a way to get it from linaro Ubuntu 14.04?

Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Respectfully,

Lou_Reed
Lou_Reed

Re: cannot login

Postby 9600 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:59 pm

It is far easier to reset a password than to crack it!

Simply insert the MicroSD card into another machine, mount the root filesystem, chroot into it and then use passwd to reset it. See e.g.:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/linux/re ... e-live-cd/

Regards,

Andrew
Andrew Back

Postby Lou_Reed » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:43 pm

Lou_Reed

Postby sebraa » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:54 pm

The 'chroot' command changes to a different root filesystem, then runs a command.
However, this command should be executable, too. Your Epiphany image uses ARM binaries, so if you do these steps on a common PC (with an Intel or AMD cpu), it will not be able to execute the shell. The error message is misleading, since you get it even when the file exists.

You should edit /etc/shadow on the Epiphany root file system to remove the password instead.
sebraa

Postby Lou Reed » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:31 pm

About that link that you provided to help in resetting the Ubuntu password on the Parallela.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/linux/re ... e-live-cd/

I believe it works, but do not forget that the password that needs to be reset is not on a desktop hard drive, but on the micro-SD card that
needs to be plugged into a USB(with all of the appropriate attachments used) port on the side of the computer (a laptop in my case).

My laptop has Windows 7 installed on its hard drive, so I am not even going there.

We are not resetting the password on the desktop's hard drive. So the following command must be altered.

Thus

sudo fdisk -1

must be modified since that tells you the device name of the hard drive and we want the device name
that the micro-SD card is using.

So how do I modify the above command?

I assume that the next step which is

sudo mkdir /media/sda1

is unchanged since we are just creating a directory to mount the micro-SD card on.

The following command :

sudo mount /dev/sda1 /media/sda1

must have in the first term "/dev/sda1 " changed whatever the device name the micro-SD card is using.

The next command

sudo chroot /media/sda1

is unchanged. Then we can change the password using the passwd command

I am not sure what the line:

Note that you'll have to type your username after the password command in order to change the right password.

means. It seems the included example does not show that.

Anyway, any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Respectfully,

Lou Reed
Lou Reed

Postby sebraa » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:41 am

You cannot use Linux commands on Windows 7.
Also, Windows 7 can*t access the Linux file system on the SD card.

Rewrite the SD card instead.
sebraa

Postby Lou Reed » Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:37 am

Okay, I never intended to use Windows in this endeavor. It was just a side point that I made. I should not have.

I will recreate the micro-SD card. I think that something is wrong in the instructions, however. I know there is more to it that just copying the image
over to the micro-SD card.

I assume that I will not have to reformat the micro-SD card.

However, where does the devicetree.dtb file get made or copied? I do not see it anywhere.

I have not created a new micro-SD card in a long while. I assume the instructions are correct, but they seem incomplete.

Any help appreciated.

Respectfully,

Lou Reed
Lou Reed

Return to Troubleshooting