[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - System Boots - Linux WILL NOT LOAD

System Boots - Linux WILL NOT LOAD

Hardware related problems and workarounds

System Boots - Linux WILL NOT LOAD

Postby fdavidg » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:41 pm

Hello all,

I hope someone can help me resolve this issue! I am so close I can taste It!

I am using a 32GB SanDiskUltra card.

The following three files are on the card:
devicetree.dtb 9KB 6/5/2014 10:22AM
parallella.bit.bin 2035KB 3/3/2015 3:03PM
uImage 4365KB 2/6/2014 3:34PM

This 32GB card reports:
used space: 6.562.304 6.25MB
free space 125,573,632 119 MB
capacity 132,135,936 126 MB
For some reason the system is reporting 126 MB for a 32GB card!

Anyway, on a Zynq7010, with HDMI enabled.

I get the three (3) green LEDs on boot.

The HDMI monitor is recognized.

The system tries to load Linux, but then I get
filesystem could mount root, tried: ext4
...el panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block (179,2)

.....omitted messages.....

...kms_helper: panic occurred switching back to text console

After the above nothing! No prompt, cursor, etc.

I would really appreciate any clues or suggestion on what to look at.

Thank you.

Frank D Gunseor
fdavidg

Re: System Boots - Linux WILL NOT LOAD

Postby sebraa » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:48 pm

The SD card needs to be partitioned with two partitions. One is the FAT32 formatted BOOT partitions, which contains the three files you mention (and is very small). That's what you've got.

The other partition is ext4 formatted, probably invisible (or at least unreadable) in Windows, and contains the Linux file system. It seems that this partition is missing or corrupted.
sebraa

Postby fdavidg » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:31 pm

fdavidg

Postby 9600 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:32 am

Andrew Back

Postby fdavidg » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:28 am

fdavidg

Postby fdavidg » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:00 pm

fdavidg

Postby fdavidg » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:24 am

Hi All,

I would like to thank every one that helped with this issue, but especially sebraa. You put me on the right track; especially after I was able to download a Windows program to read ext4 directories. THe linux file system was on the SD card, but it was empty.

I finally went to the ftp site at: /ubuntu/dists/trusty/image/ and downloaded another gz image file. I noticed this time that the file was much larger and almost 15GB when decompressed. I am not sure about the other files that I downloaded. And I do not know why none of them would work when I did exactly the same thing, with exactly the same SD card. THe only thing different was downloading from the ftp site!

Anyway, thank you all very much.

Frank D Gunseor
fdavidg

Postby voyager » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:22 pm

Hi fdavidg!
I want to use hdmi output like you and I've downloaded the linux image with hdmi enabled from this link:
http://downloads.parallella.org/ubuntu/ ... 611.img.gz
and I did exactly the same instructions that you did! but I don't have hdmi output and console output returns:
--
<\0><\r><\n><\r><\n>U-Boot 2012.10-00003-g792c31c (Jan 03 2014 - 12:24:08)<\r><\n><\r><\n>I2C: ready<\r><\n>DRAM: 992 MiB<\r><\n>WARNING: Caches not enabled<\r><\n>MMC: SDHCI: 0<\r><\n>SF: Detected N25Q128 with page size 64 KiB, total 16 MiB<\r><\n>In: serial<\r><\n>Out: serial<\r><\n>Err: serial<\r><\n>Net: zynq_gem<\r><\n>Hit any key to stop autoboot: 0 <\r><\n>Configuring PL and Booting Linux...<\r><\n>Device: SDHCI<\r><\n>Manufacturer ID: 1b<\r><\n>OEM: 534d<\r><\n>Name: 00000 <\r><\n>Tran Speed: 50000000<\r><\n>Rd Block Len: 512<\r><\n>SD version 2.0<\r><\n>High Capacity: Yes<\r><\n>Capacity: 29.8 GiB<\r><\n>Bus Width: 4-bit<\r><\n>reading parallella.bit.bin<\r><\n><\r><\n>2083744 bytes read<\r><\n>reading uImage<\r><\n><\r><\n>4468792 bytes read<\r><\n>reading devicetree.dtb<\r><\n><\r><\n>8607 bytes read<\r><\n>## Booting kernel from Legacy Image at 03000000 ...<\r><\n> Image Name: Linux-3.12.0-g0bc9c3a-dirty<\r><\n> Image Type: ARM Linux Kernel Image (uncompressed)<\r><\n> Data Size: 4468728 Bytes = 4.3 MiB<\r><\n> Load Address: 00008000<\r><\n> Entry Point: 00008000<\r><\n> Verifying Checksum ... OK<\r><\n>## Flattened Device Tree blob at 02a00000<\r><\n> Booting using the fdt blob at 0x02a00000<\r><\n> Loading Kernel Image ... OK<\r><\n>OK<\r><\n> Loading Device Tree to 1fffa000, end 1ffff19e ... OK<\r><\n><\r><\n>Starting kernel ...<\r><\n><\r><\n>Uncompressing Linux... done, booting the kernel.<\r><\n>
--
but don't have hdmi output!
voyager

Return to Troubleshooting