DVI workaround

Hardware related problems and workarounds

DVI workaround

Postby s21jb » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:36 pm

I was disappointed with my new Parallella board because I couldn't see anything output to the monitor. I was able to login through SSH and confirmed that the board was booting but not initializing HDMI correctly. After some research online and checking the Xorg logs, I realized that the problem is actually the "DVI to HDMI" adapter that I am using with my monitor. It appears that many users have experienced the same problem.
I was wondering if anyone has reported a workaround to this issue? Is it possible to configure the display to a resolution / refresh rate that is guaranteed to work over DVI? Also, has anyone found a DVI to HDMI adapter that works with the Parallella?

Thanks in advance!
s21jb

Re: DVI workaround

Postby aolofsson » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:58 pm

Yes, there have been issues reported with HDMI-->DVI converters. We have seen some of these ourselves, but have also had some success. We haven't had the resources to dig into the root cause. (haven't found a consistent failing pattern either, just a few adhoc datapoints).

Once we integrate update to the latest Analog Devices HDMI firmware and driver there is a chance that the problem will go away...stay tuned.
In the meantime, the only thing I can suggest is to find a monitor with HDMI in.

Can you respond with a montitor model, screen resolution and DVI dongle model for our records?

Andreas
aolofsson

Return to Troubleshooting