Board not booting

Hardware related problems and workarounds

Board not booting

Postby droma » Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:40 pm

We are starting a new project and we had an unused parallella board (P1602-DK02) around. Sadly, nobody remembers who used it before and if it has been ever working. So, I followed the get started guide from the parallella home page for the headless image. But, obviously, it didn't worked... First problem was with the power supply to the board. The F1 fuse was burned (hence my doubts of if the board was ever working), so I replaced it and now the power to the board seems fine: the green led goes on, TP13 has 1 V, TP15 has 5.15 V, TX of the J2 connector 3.3 V and the RJ-45 leds blink (even if strange, always both of them blink at the same time and very fast). But, even so the board doesn't boot. I connected a ftdi 3.3 V cable to the UART to see what was going on, but I didn't receive anything, not a single character. Well, only one when the board powers up but this is due to the change from 0 to 3.3 V. I tried then to change to the hdmi image and connect a monitor, but also nothing. Finally, I used an oscilloscope to look at the SD card signals and the power looks fine, but there are only two clock signals at the start and now command signal at all. I never debugged a SD card link before, but I expected to see a lot of switching at the clock signal on startup. The current consumption of the board is also low, around 300 mA. But if the Zynq is not starting it should probably in this range, not?

So, anyone has any idea what I could do more to find out what is happening? As far as I understand, the first stage of booting consist of reading the SPI flash, and after that the second stage starts reading from the SD (programmable logic and uboot). If this is right, the problem could be at the flash ic perhaps? Since the board has this huge heat-sink on it, I don't have access to it. But even so, if the flash is damaged most probably the zynq z020 itself will be also burned.

Any ideas will be might appreciated.
droma

Re: Board not booting

Postby bmcgavin » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:49 pm

Hello, did you manage to get anywhere with this? I have exactly the same issue after running the board idle in an enclosure with no fan (as I've since read was a Bad Idea).

Both ethernet lights blink very briefly roughtly every second, and the fan spins at the same rate. Serial console shows a few garbage characters when I plug in / remove the power adapter.

I'm guessing it's completely fried, but just thought I'd ask to see if you managed to rescue your board from this state.
bmcgavin

Re: Board not booting

Postby droma » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:55 pm

No, sorry, didn't had any luck at all. But, in my opinion, I find it difficult that running the board without any intensive task will overhead it, even if there was no air flow. Good luck!
droma

Return to Troubleshooting