IP configuration could not be reserved

Hardware related problems and workarounds

IP configuration could not be reserved

Postby UYasher » Mon May 11, 2015 4:25 pm

I purchased two parallella boards, a desktop version and a microserver version. I have gotten the desktop version to work just fine.
I tried to SSH onto the microserver from my main computer (running Deepin OS 2014.2) However, I am unable to SSH onto the microserver because it was not properly establishing a connection. I got the error "IP configuration could not be reserved".
I went through the troubleshooting guides available and everything seems to check out. (Both the green and orange lights are on on the Ethernet port.)
As such, I decided to look into the var/log/syslog file. From what I can tell, the device is not being assigned an IPv4 address. Granted, I may be wrong. As such, I have attached the syslog.

A solution would be much appreciated.
Attachments
syslog.txt
(I was unable to attach the syslog as is, so I saved it as a .txt - which might mess up some of the formating)
(63.81 KiB) Downloaded 1544 times
UYasher

Re: IP configuration could not be reserved

Postby peteasa » Mon May 11, 2015 9:25 pm

I have a dhcp server on my network that will allocate up to 20 addresses. Your network does not seem to have a dhcp server or you have exhausted the available IP addresses from your dhcp server.
Without dhcp then linux uses avahi that will allocate a local address (ie does not communicate via a router and has IP address like 169.254.x.x), but both sides of the connection need to use the same zero configuration process.
Final and fail safe is to use manual configuration with IP addresses that you know are not used on your network. All the above can easily be looked up for example https://help.ubuntu.com/lts/serverguide ... ation.html
Troubleshoot network problems with ifconfig and ping (or wireshark if you want to see exactly what is happening).
Good Luck!
peteasa

Return to Troubleshooting