[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - Parallella board is not working

Parallella board is not working

Hardware related problems and workarounds

Parallella board is not working

Postby nourhilal » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:39 pm

Hi,

I recently received a Parallella board, and I went through all the guide lines I could find, but it did not work.
I connected all the cables to my laptop, tried both headless and HDMI parallella OS images, on both windows and linux, yet it does not show anything.
once I connect it to the laptop it lights up and the ethernet leds flicker as if they are working, but nothing shows on the screen.
I tried to search for its IP using advanced IP scanner but it does not appear.

Could anyone help me with this, is the board the problem?
nourhilal

Re: Parallella board is not working

Postby aolofsson » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:17 am

What do you mean when you say you connect all the cables to your laptop??
aolofsson

Postby nourhilal » Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:36 pm

I mean the HDMI, micro usb and ethernet cable that are mentioned in quick start instruction.
nourhilal

Postby sebraa » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:29 pm

The Parallella will try to acquire an IP address through DHCP after booting.
If you are connecting the Parallella directly to your laptop, you need to run a DHCP server on your laptop as well.

Also, the HDMI cable from the Parallella should be connected to a screen, not to your laptop.
sebraa

Postby nourhilal » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:15 pm

Originally I connected the board to the my university network and I was able to identify the IP address of the board, but when I tried to "ssh" it, it took sometime before replying with "connection timed out" or "there is no rout to host" .
I will try to connect it to a monitor in the university lab to see, but at home I don't have a monitor, just my laptop, I was hoping to connect to it through the laptop only.

What could be the problem that it can see the IP through the network (on advanced IP scanner) but can not establish a connection through ssh?
nourhilal

Postby sebraa » Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:52 pm

sebraa

Postby nourhilal » Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:44 pm

well, I only connected the Ethernet cable to the university network, used IP scanner and saw the board IP address.
through Linux terminal I tried to ssh the IP but it came back timed out as I mentioned before (my laptop is connected to the same network through ethernet too)
I tried through cygwin terminal on windows too, same thing.

I have no idea if the network is fire walled or not.
nourhilal

Postby aolofsson » Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:27 pm

This is a good tool to have for Parallella and many other boards with a serial port. Nothing more frustrating than not seeing anything work.

https://www.adafruit.com/products/954?g ... Hwodn60JEw
aolofsson

Postby nourhilal » Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:45 pm

nourhilal

Postby nourhilal » Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:54 pm

It worked finally, on my TV, and connected to it through putty software only.

Thank you for your help Sebraa and Aolofsson .
nourhilal

Return to Troubleshooting