[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - USB UART receives gibberish, but logic analyser says all ok

USB UART receives gibberish, but logic analyser says all ok

Hardware related problems and workarounds

USB UART receives gibberish, but logic analyser says all ok

Postby Netaro » Sun May 08, 2016 11:46 am

Hi!
I'm trying to access parallella via UART. I've got an RS232 to USB dongle, LogiLink AU0002E, and max232-based UART to RS232 converter. However, when I connect parallella to it, all I can see is gibberish () (I've also tested it on miniterm on linux to exclude if there's something wrong with CoolTerm, but it's also nonsensical.

I've connected the uart to saleae's logic analyser, and surprise, it shows that what parallella sends is correct (as per this pastebin: ). Starts with \r\n\r\nU-Boot 2012.01-00003-g792c31c (Jan 03...... and so on...

I do not think it's a problem with either the dongle or the rs232-uart board, as I've tested it on my rPI, and it shows all's OK. So, is there any way to solve it?

The board I'm using is the one with zynq7010.
Netaro

Re: USB UART receives gibberish, but logic analyser says all

Postby aolofsson » Sun May 08, 2016 9:16 pm

Make sure you are running with the right rate (115,200), connect the ground pin and didn't reverse the tx/rx (all mistakes I have made in the past...)
aolofsson

Postby Netaro » Mon May 09, 2016 8:27 pm

Those were first things I've checked, no dice.
Netaro

Postby Olaf » Mon May 09, 2016 8:40 pm

I would guess parity and number of bits or number of stop bits.

Something else could cause it is where the wiring passes something that induces electrical noise like a power supply, motor,....
Or the case that I had here, one powered USB that actually caused a current that traverses the ground wiring on my PC. I saw sparks when I disconnect an USB cable.
Olaf

Return to Troubleshooting