[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - SSH Intermittent

SSH Intermittent

Hardware related problems and workarounds

SSH Intermittent

Postby bfisher » Tue May 17, 2016 3:15 am

I have a new Parallela Micro Server running the Parallela supplied Headless Ubuntu image. I'm able to SSH into the system but am experiencing an intermittent issue with rather long (20 - 30 second delays) when entering new commands. For instance, I'll run the ztemp script maybe 5 or 6 times and then when I try to execute it again the SSH connection appears unresponsive. If I wait long enough, then I'm able to continue entering a few more commands. Any ideas what is going on? Is this normal behavior? I've tried copying the Headless image to the SD card a couple times thinking that it might have gotten corrupted, but that hasn't seemed to fix the issue.
bfisher

Re: SSH Intermittent

Postby DonQuichotte » Tue May 17, 2016 9:58 am

Hi

Can you tell us more, please ?
What hardware do you use, first ?
What image ? Last 2016.3.1 ? (Should work, works for Olaf and myself - I use the headless Zynq 7020 2016.3.1 image)
What SSH method next ? DHCP... static IP...
What works for me is in parallella-examples/paralle2/doc github

Here are my ping timings, static IP:
- 160 ms ; 2015.1 image, some standard Ethernet cable
- 180 ms ; 2016.3.1 image, another standard Ethernet cable

External 5V 2A... power ; everything officially supported.
Running ~/ztemp.sh should give you something around 63 °C ?! My case with my Kickstarter early model, Zynq 7020, tiny heatsink.
DonQuichotte

Postby sebraa » Tue May 17, 2016 12:58 pm

Your symptoms sound like packet loss on the network link. SSH over TCP takes quite a while to recover from this.

Please run a continuous ping to the Parallella's IP address while you run your stuff. Check the ping output if you have package loss before the lags. If so, check for loose cable connections, change the cable, connect the Parallella directly to your computer, etc. Do the normal network technician things.

While the system is overheating, it may also drop packets. Check if temperatures are nice, or add active cooling to test.
sebraa

Postby Olaf » Tue May 17, 2016 7:38 pm

2016.3 gave me issues that I could ping but ssh did not connect. The second time that retried I got a connection refused.

The fun part was that they already had a 2016.3.1 day old after the download I did that fixed my issues.
Since then I ran perfectly.

I did use Win32DiskImager to burn it. Before I used dd but I have doubts that the image was correctly written to the SD card.

Win32DiskImager does give an error when it starts up on Windows 10. Just ignore it, it works fine.
Olaf

Postby sebraa » Wed May 18, 2016 11:55 am

sebraa

Postby Olaf » Wed May 18, 2016 9:09 pm

Olaf

Return to Troubleshooting