[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - [SOLVED] ubuntu-15.04-esdk-2016.3.1-headless-z7020.img

[SOLVED] ubuntu-15.04-esdk-2016.3.1-headless-z7020.img

Hardware related problems and workarounds

[SOLVED] ubuntu-15.04-esdk-2016.3.1-headless-z7020.img

Postby pgater » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:40 pm

Hi,

Apologies if I have post on the board, I was not sure where to ask the question.

I have a Kickstarter 7020 board and I am using Win SCP and PUTTY to communicate with the board.

Andreas's recent fantastic announcement about the Epiphany-V 1024-core 64-bit RISC processor has spurred me to start experimenting with my board again! :D

I downloaded the above mentioned image, updated the files, used Suzanne J. Matthews excellant guide to expand to the full disk size and started looking at the files. When I tried to run some of the examples the ehal.h is missing kept cropping up, so I had a look for the SDK, assuming it needed to be installed. I tried to run setup.sh and got this error message :-

Please set the EPIPHANY_HOME to the root folder of the SDK release!

My Linux is rusty, so I looked this up online and altered the bashrc file, but this did not make a difference.

Old
export PATH=/usr/local/browndeer/bin:$PATH
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/browndeer/lib:/usr/local/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
export PATH=/opt/openmpi/bin:$PATH
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/openmpi/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
export EPIPHANY_HOME=/opt/adapteva/esdk
[ -e $EPIPHANY_HOME ] && . $EPIPHANY_HOME/setup.sh || echo Epiphany SDK not installed.

New
export PATH=/usr/local/browndeer/bin:$PATH
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/browndeer/lib:/usr/local/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
export PATH=/opt/openmpi/bin:$PATH
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/openmpi/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
export EPIPHANY_HOME=/opt/adapteva/esdk.2016.3.1
[ -e $EPIPHANY_HOME ] && . $EPIPHANY_HOME/setup.sh || echo Epiphany SDK not installed.

Questions
1. Is the SDK actually installed and if so what am I missing?
2. Have I amended the EPIPHANY_HOME variable correctly?
3. Is egcc installed? If not which folder should it be installed in?
4. If it is not installed, are there any instructions on installing egcc, the comment on github is a bit vague.

If someone could point me in the right direction, I would be very grateful! :D

Regards,

Paul
pgater

Re: ubuntu-15.04-esdk-2016.3.1-headless-z7020.img

Postby sebraa » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:52 pm

I think you misunderstood quite a bit. ;-)

First, the bashrc snippet automatically calls the setup.sh, you do not need to do this.
Second, the /opt/adapteva/esdk folder is actually a symbolic link to the correct eSDK folder, so you do not need to change the bashrc file. Please run "ls -l /opt/adapteva/" to see if the folders are set up correctly.
Third, the "egcc" is called "e-gcc" (with a dash). You should be able to just run "e-gcc" and get an error message "gcc: fatal error: no input files" (or similar). This implies that the compiler is installed correctly.
If the system can't find "ehal.h", then change the reference to "e-hal.h", again with a dash. The eSDK wasn't always consistent with file names in its history, and some examples may have be written against the old version.

Sorry if I appear rude right now, I don't mean to - I'm just in a hurry.

Good luck.
sebraa

Postby pgater » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:21 am

Hi sebraa,

You are not rude at all!! :D Many thanks for the info. :D I am rusty, getting back into parallella!

Regards,

Paul
pgater

Postby pgater » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:48 pm

Hi,

Output of tests recommended by Sebraa :-

Using username "parallella".
parallella@192.168.0.18's password:
Welcome to Ubuntu 15.04 (GNU/Linux 4.4.0+ armv7l)

* Documentation: https://help.ubuntu.com/
Last login: Wed Oct 19 18:36:27 2016 from 192.168.0.5
parallella@parallella:~$ ls -l /opt/adapteva/
total 4
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 13 May 10 19:39 esdk -> esdk.2016.3.1
drwxrwxr-x 4 root root 4096 May 10 18:19 esdk.2016.3.1

parallella@parallella:~$ e-gcc
e-gcc: fatal error: no input files
compilation terminated.

So the conclusion is that the SDK and e-gcc are indeed present.

But trying to build the example prime results in this output :-

/home/parallella/parallella-examples/eprime$ ./build.sh
src/prime.c:26:19: fatal error: e-hal.h: No such file or directory
#include <e-hal.h>
^
compilation terminated.

I noted that e-hal is not listed in e-lib, but adding #include <e-hal.h> to the e.prime.c source produced the same error message, so the compiler is not finding e-hal and the non inclusion could be a red herring.
Looking through the directories, e-hal is indeed present, at /opt/adapteva/esdk.2016.3.1/tools/host.armv7l/include
But is it in the wrong folder? The e-lib file is in /opt/adapteva/esdk.2016.3.1/tools/e-gnu.armv7l/epiphany-elf/include.

Unfortunately got to stop at this point!
Will resume tomorrow night, but if anybody else wants to take a look, let me know how you get on! :D

Regards,

Paul
pgater

Postby sebraa » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:20 pm

Please show the content of the build script. It may contain a wrong path.

The e-hal.h header is a host-side header, which is not processed by e-gcc, but by the ARM gcc instead. Only e-gcc "knows" about the eSDK, the host gcc needs to be told where to look.
sebraa

Postby pgater » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:57 pm

pgater

Postby pgater » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:24 pm

pgater

Postby pgater » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:13 pm

pgater

Postby pgater » Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:12 pm

Hi Sebraa,

I have been using the terminal in WinSCP to give commands. Using PUTTY (invoked from WinSCP) most things run! :D Conclusion being that it is some sort of permission/access issue. Using sudo also generates an e-hal is missing error.

So at present till I get X11 windows setup I will becoming more familiar with the command line in PUTTY :o

Regards,

Paul
pgater

Postby sebraa » Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:55 pm

sebraa

Next

Return to Troubleshooting