Survey on Asymmetric Multicore Processors (e.g. big.LITTLE)

Announcements of academic papers and technical reports based on Parallella or the Epiphany architecture.

Survey on Asymmetric Multicore Processors (e.g. big.LITTLE)

Postby sparsh » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:40 pm

Modern computing systems have become highly diverse in terms of their workloads, usage pattern, scale and optimization objective. Hence, even a highly-optimized “monolithic core” cannot simultaneously meet such diverse and often conflicting requirements. To address this challenge, asymmetric multicore processors have been proposed which feature cores of different types (e.g. big and LITTLE) in the same processor. Qualcomm Snapdragon 810, Samsung Exynos 5 Octa and Nvidia Tegra X1 are some examples of asymmetric multicores.

My survey, accepted in ACM Computing Surveys 2015, reviews nearly 125 papers on static and re-configurable asymmetric multicore processors.

A Survey Of Techniques for Architecting and Managing Asymmetric Multicore Processors
sparsh

Re: Survey on Asymmetric Multicore Processors (e.g. big.LITT

Postby Melkhior » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:59 pm

sparsh wrote: reviews nearly 125 papers on static and re-configurable asymmetric multicore processors. ]

But nothing on older implementations. The MBus allowed "Physical asymmetric" in theory, though mostly "Virtual asymmetric" in practice (fig 2 terminology). You could mix & match the various SuperSPARC (I & II) on the one hand, or the various HyperSPARC on the other. Never officially supported by Sun, but I think Ross supported mixed HyperSPARC on the HyperStations. I still have a SPARCstation 20 with a 125 MHz HS module and a 2x90 MHz HS module. Works perfectly. I really should try mixing a 60 MHz SuperSPARC I and a 75 MHz SuperSPARC II. Should work, but I'm worried about the heat...

Admittedly, those weird configurations happened out of necessity and available parts and weren't a deliberate attempt at optimizing anything.

Cordially,
Melkhior

Return to Academic Papers