Boot up problem after pulling plug after shutdown -h now

Forum for anything not suitable for the other forums.

Boot up problem after pulling plug after shutdown -h now

Postby rsood » Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:35 am

Hi all,

I was one of the Kickstarter backers, but have just started using my board in the last couple weekends (it's not as bad as it sounds - I had asked them not to ship my board during a certain time period, and when that time period was up, they forgot to remove the hold on shipping - I wouldn't be surprised if I was the last Kickstarter backer to get a board). I also ordered the accessory kit, which came with an SD card that was pre-burned with an image labeled p16z20g1-ubuntu14.01-14.03.06.img.

I decided to try running in a headless configuration first, because I was uncertain about connecting a particular USB device (if I can get the board working again, I will have a question about this). I did go ahead and plug in all the cables that came with the accessory kit, but I didn't connect them to anything. I plugged in the power and a green light started blinking on the board. I plugged an ethernet cable into to board and a switch connected to my desktop, and a light on the switch indicated a connection was made. After some time, the green light on the board stopped blinking and just stayed on. I was able to ssh into the board and execute a couple simple commands, then I tried sudo shutdown -h now. The ssh connection was immediately terminated, but after some time, the lights on the board were still on. I figured that the processor had been halted, but the power hadn't been turned off (after all, I haven't found a power switch - as far as I know, the only way to turn the board on is to plug in the power, so maybe the only way to turn it off is to pull the plug?). I tried to ssh in again to be sure it hadn't rebooted, and wasn't able to connect. I pulled the plug. Then I reconnected the power. The green light on the board started blinking again, but, unlike before, stayed blinking after several minutes. The IP address that the board had appeared at before didn't show up in my router's page that displays information about what computers are connected to it (I had checked that before I did the shutdown -h now as well), and I was not able to ssh in.

I thought maybe the SD card had been corrupted, so I burned over it with the directions in the Quick Start accessed from the Parallella homepage, using an image I had downloaded some months before (ubuntu-14.01-lxde.14.03.06.img). I reinserted the SD card and reconnected the power, but again the green light stayed blinking (there was also an orange light blinking around the ethernet port), and I was not able to ssh in. So I retried with a different image (ubuntu-14.04-headless-z7020-20150130.1.img). Same result, except I don't think there was an orange light blinking on the ethernet port. To make sure this wasn't a problem resulting from the board having a z7010 rather than a z7020 (shouldn't have been, because I got mine through Kickstarter, but then again, I was one of the last to get a board, maybe they had substituted: I wanted to check it out), I used the image ubuntu-14.10-headless-z7010-20141110.img. I got the same result as for the z7020 headless image. I switched back to ubuntu-14.01-lxde.14.03.06.img and got the same result as when I used it the first time. Now I am not sure what to do.

It's probably something simple that doesn't justify such a long post, but I was unable to find an answer searching the forum. Surely I haven't damaged the board just by disconnecting the power? If someone knows what the problem is, please tell me, else, some guidance on what to do next for troubleshooting would be greatly appreciated.
rsood

Re: Boot up problem after pulling plug after shutdown -h now

Postby rsood » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:35 pm

Can someone at least tell me what it would look like if the parallella were to boot up correctly (what pattern of lights)?
rsood

Return to General Discussion