Trouble creating Parallella startup disk.

Forum for anything not suitable for the other forums.

Re: Trouble creating Parallella startup disk.

Postby sebraa » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:29 pm

Do as the quickstart says.
Things change.
sebraa

Postby Lou_Reed » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:55 pm

Okay, I have created the Parallella SD startup disk as you instructed using Win32 imager. Now I know that is its normal for the Micro-SD card in Windows to show nothing when in Windows.

This is normal.

However, just to satisfy my curiosity, there must be a way to see these three (devicetree, uImage, etc) files. I am guessing I can see them in Linux. Is this possible?

I just want to insure that everything is where it ought to be. After running Win32 image, it said that it was successful. But I just want to prove it to myself.

Thanks in advance.

Respectfully,

Lou Reed
Lou_Reed

Postby sebraa » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:46 pm

Does your SD card work or not?
sebraa

Postby Lou_Reed » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:47 pm

I am trying to determine if my sd card(s) work or not.
I installed Ubuntu 14 in Late 2014-2015 and everything was okay.
I am more interested in the Epiphany processor than any other part of the Parallella. So I was glad when it showed on Youtube how to install the software. The video was too small on the Youtube font, but I think all one must do is give a few simple commands and then one can have that software installed.
Then I tried last November to install the software for the epiphany processor and suddenly everything went wrong.
In one card it refused my password and in another I was able to log on (it accepted my password), but after a period of less than a minute the screen froze.
Now know that there are ways to get around both situations, but I just decided to re-image the cards and start from scratch.
I know it says that when you use the MS Windows (I have version 7) and when I use Win32 disk Imager to image the ubuntu*.img file on to the sd card that if successful you should not be able to see the files.
You would also not be able to see them if the files (Ubuntu image and the rest) were never transferred to the sd card in the first place.
I have two sd cards with the previous version of Ubuntu installed which as I said was installed in late 2014 and early 2015. At that time (and with an earlier version of Ubuntu) there were several smaller files that had to be put on the sd card separately. There were three and I put each one on after the other, thenI imaged the sd cards with Win32 disk imager.
Taking the two new cards with the Ubuntu image installed on (and I assume all supporting files also installed).

As I said, I created the sd cards I craated with my Windows 7 laptop using Win32 imager. The software said the image was completed successfully. It also said that one would not be able to see the files once they were on since this is a Windows system and we are trying to view Linux files. That made sense. There could be another we reason that we cannot see Linux files on the Windows 7 laptop. They were not copied or imaged.

I tried to boot up my Parallella last night with the two reimaged, sd cards. I got nothing. The screen kept saying "check cable signal" or the screen alternated from analog to hdmi. I have a Samsung monitor.

It seems a good first step is to check the newly imaged cards to see if all the required files are on each sd card. That includes the three file that I mentioned above. Can I do this with an Ubuntu Live Cd? I need to eliminate any issues with the cards.

Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Respectfully,
Lou_Reed
Lou_Reed

Postby sebraa » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:41 pm

You are writing lots of text, but miss the important information. We can't help until we have current and correct information about your setup. Guesswork does not help anymore.

What Parallella do you have, does it use a Zynq 7010 or a Zynq 7020?

Do you need HDMI output? (If yes, you can't use modern images. There are some differences we need to know!)

Do you connect the Parallella to a network, and if yes, how do you do that?

Have you EVER been able to use the Parallella for the Epiphany stuff?

Do not take another month to answer, because it is annoying if I try to help and you come back after a month and we are back at the beginning.
sebraa

Postby Lou_Reed » Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:59 pm

I am again writing an answer a month later. Sorry. I do other things at time.

I am using a Parallella with the large heatsink. I must also use a fan when I turn it on. I think that makes
it a Zynq 7010.

I also have a Samsung monitor with a hdmi connection.

I do not connect to a network. I do have a internet connection via Charter Comm. I use the Parallella to surf the net.

I have never (to my knowledge) been able to use the Parallella Epiphany stuff. When I tired to install the software to do that is when
this all fell apart.

I have used the Paralllella almost all of last year. It is only when I used the software install for the Epiphany that things went South.

First there was a screen freeze up seconds after I logged on; then it would not recognize my password and things have been down since.

Any help appreciated.

Respectfully,

Lou_Reed
Lou_Reed

Previous

Return to General Discussion