[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - Trouble creating Parallella startup disk.

Trouble creating Parallella startup disk.

Forum for anything not suitable for the other forums.

Trouble creating Parallella startup disk.

Postby Lou Reed » Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:52 pm

I am following instructions from a recent post to remake the micro-SD card in my Parallella.

That requires me to download a *.img.gz file which I did.

It was Ubuntu-1404-hdmi-z7010-20146011.img.gz, the file is about 2 GB.

I used program 7za to unpack it to Ubuntu-1404-hdmi-z7010-20146011, and it is about 15 GB in size.

It is a big file!

I am wondering where the other files have gone, such as devicetree, uImage, etc.

They are nowhere to be found.

I have not created a micro-SD startup disk in about 1 year so I have forgot some things.

I just remember the main file being much smaller than the *.img.gz shown here (2 GB packed and 15 GB unpacked). Also when the file when unpacked that the other files are also there; they are the smaller file that I must transfer over by hand.

Any help appreciated.

Respectfully,

Lou Reed

Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Lou Reed

Re: Trouble creating Parallella startup disk.

Postby Lou Reed » Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:25 pm

I am resubmitting the question on this forum. I am stuck on this creating a startup disk.

It seems the procedure is different now than when I did it a year ago.

I just need to know the best way to extract the files and where do the supporting files come from?

Respectfully,

Lou Reed
Lou Reed

Postby sebraa » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:52 pm

The procedure is the same as it was last year.

You download a .img.gz file. You decompress this file and get a .img file. You write this file to the SD card. It is an image file, so you can't just copy it to the SD card in Windows Explorer.. The SD card then contains two partitions (one containing the support files, which is Windows-accessible, and one containing a Linux root file system, which is not visible in Windows).
sebraa

Postby Lou Reed » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:05 pm

Okay, but when I unpacked the newly downloaded file, Ubuntu-1404-hdmi-z7010-20146011, which was about 2 GB when packed it became
a very large file of about 15 GB.

I do not remember any such event from last year. I unpacked the downloaded file then and it was about 8 GB.

Explain this surprising unpacked file size increase?

That is my basic question.

Respectfully,

Lou Reed
Lou Reed

Postby sebraa » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:15 pm

My guess is that the old image was created from an 8 GB SD card, while the new image was created from a 16 GB SD card. The file system is mostly empty (which is why it compresses so well).
sebraa

Postby cmcconnell » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:55 pm

Colin.
cmcconnell

Postby Lou Reed » Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:13 pm

I just used the command

7a e *.img.gz

To unpack the files. The command line option was e, I guess that means extract. It did not take long to unpack. No error messages were shown.

Also, where do I get the devicetree* and uImage* files that I need to put on the sd-CARD?

Thanks in advance.

Respectfully,

Lou Reed
Lou Reed

Postby cmcconnell » Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:38 pm

Colin.
cmcconnell

Postby Lou_Reed » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:09 pm

Okay, I burned the image to the new Micro-SD cared. It was successful or so the program said. I followed and used
the Windows procedure. I used Win32 disk imager. However, I do not see the ancillary files (devicetree. etc).

Now I know that after burning the image file into the Micro-SD card that it should be showing nothing on the Micro-SD card.
However, I think if these files are in the image file they should be somewhere on the micro-SD card.

I thought some file like kernel-hdmi had these files and kernel-hdmi had to be downloaded separately.

Resepctfully,

Lou Reed
Lou_Reed

Postby Lou_Reed » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:34 pm

Okay, I must ask this question again. I am trying t build a Parallella startup disk. I have download the latest Parallella image file from the Parallella website.

I have burnt its image on the micro-SD card. However, as I have built a Parallella startup disk about one year ago; I thought we had to download
a second file that contained file such devetree, UImage, etc.. That file was named something like kernel-hdmi (or close to it).

I take it this step has been overcome by events; I am told that these files are now in the latest compressed image file. Thus by burning the image onto
the micro-SD card those files are also added.

Please correct anything that I said above that was wrong. I want to create the startup disk (actually micro-SD card) the new with the new compressed *.tgz file.

Respectfully,

Lou Reed
Lou_Reed

Next

Return to General Discussion