rust

Forum for anything not suitable for the other forums.

rust

Postby 8l » Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:13 am

rust seems to gain momentum,
wish here is some rust place for parallella.

https://www.rust-lang.org/

https://github.com/nikomatsakis/rayon/
8l

Re: rust

Postby dobkeratops » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:14 am

like C++, I think it would benefit from the ability to instantiate programs from generic code.

(think of how C++AMP handles GPU programming - where you write lambdas inline, and pass to a 'parallel_foreach' - as an advance over writing separate kernels.

Now imagine extrapolating that for epiphany: having more elaborate high-order functions that express dataflow (such as map-reduce, but more , including scatter-gather patterns and so on) plugging in multiple lambdas, generating the e-core elfs.
)
dobkeratops

Postby sebraa » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:33 pm

As far as I understand, Rust basically requires a full runtime library. Consequently, you can't run Rust programs on the Epiphany. C++ is usable without its runtime library, since you can restrict yourself to the C API instead, which - to my understanding - isn't possible in Rust.

It might make sense to write a Rust library to offload tasks to the Epiphany instead.
sebraa

Postby dobkeratops » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:58 pm

I haven't checked in a while, but I seem to remember people setting up some minimalist version for writing OS kernels, not sure what the status is.

a lot of the rust libraries are purely generic (equivalent to c++ header code);

not sure how their concepts of safety would map to DMA based code, but if you could turn lambdas into e-core code the sky would be the limit
dobkeratops

Return to General Discussion