[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - So what will you be doing with your Parallella?

So what will you be doing with your Parallella?

Forum for anything not suitable for the other forums.

Re: So what will you be doing with your Parallella?

Postby hewsmike » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:04 pm

Writing Fast Fourier Transform algorithms ... :-)

Cheers, Mike.
hewsmike

Postby Gedece » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:09 pm

I'm planning on learning OpenCL, and how to think to program in parallel. I also want to try running world community grid work units through a ported BOINC, and I'm going to volunteer for alpha and beta testing of the BOINC client.
Gedece

Postby Claggy » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:13 pm

Claggy

Postby hewsmike » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:39 am

hewsmike

Postby billyray » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:31 am

I will hopefully one day use the parallella board to solve inferred camera algorithms and calculate the distance between between objects making my quadrocopter fully autonomous and able to avoid walls. :D
Last edited by billyray on Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
billyray

Postby xindexer » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:35 am

I'm looking to due some serious transcoding of multiple video streams - though I will be in way over my head as I haven't done anything in C. Going to be a steep learning curve...looking forward to it though.
xindexer

Postby LANJr4D » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:08 am

Bringing it to my MakerSpace at the Mosaic Arts Center in Avondale,AZ. I think the kids will love it, C is easy to learn.
LANJr4D

Postby AdamC » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:48 am

Going to build a case for it. Probably something see through. Maybe have a usb hub in the case too. I'm hoping the board has some mount points on it. I guess I'll wait and see what they ship. I already have some ideas in mind and some concept pictures of how a case could work for this board without adding too much weight.

This board would be awesome if it could run games within linux as well since steam is porting a bunch of games to linux soon. I've been hearing rumblings to that fact that steam hates windows 8 and wants to branch out to linux and specifically ubuntu 12.04.
AdamC

Postby Watse » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:34 am

Just play and learn. Tweak with optimalizations of the cores.
Learn the inside of the the Epiphany and the ARM.
I am not sure what the FPGA is doing or what you can do with it.

A lot to learn that's for sure.
Maybe use it as a bitcoin generator :idea:
Watse

Postby Onni » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:37 am

I will try to implement multithreaded code for the Open source library Point Cloud Library and attach a kinect. The goal is to have a robust, high fps, portable 3D-scanner. According to my crude calculations, a modern cellphone is not quite up to the task. This math is perfect for parallell computing. The heavy lifting consist of asking the question "does this 3D-object fit with this one, if I rotate them like this?" This can now be asked several times at once.

When this is done, I see two awsome projects:

Turning a quadcopter into an area 3D scanner. This is also the basis for almost all robotics. Knowing where I am and where the object I'm supposed to pick up is. When PCL + Kinect + Parallella is kind of plug and play for the DIY robot community, cool things will happend.

I will put this fashinable contraption on my head and wear google glasses or simmilar. If I know exactly where the table is in relation to my eyes , I can put an animated 3D pink little hippo on it. And if I know where my hand is, I can interact with it. What can be done with this technology? I predict it will be the next big thing in gadgets and gaming within 5-10 years. Imagine putting arbitrary 3D in your everyday environment.

*sigh* So many projects and only a few spare hours.
Onni

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion