So what will you be doing with your Parallella?

Forum for anything not suitable for the other forums.

So what will you be doing with your Parallella?

Postby Dagur » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:34 pm

I'm going to try and learn how to program on it and find something fun to do on it. I ordered two so I will probably use the other one as a glorified xbmc host :)
Dagur

Re: So what will you be doing with your Parallella?

Postby ChrisGranger » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:39 pm

I am not a developer, so my interest in the Parallella is primarily distributed computing. Specifically, I am hoping to run BOINC projects on them if/when BOINC devs are able to make that happen...
ChrisGranger

Postby Mary » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:45 pm

I couldn't afford one, so I've come here to learn all about them while I save up.
I'd like to see one in every school.
Mary

Postby vidarh » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:34 pm

Playing.

I don't really have a serious use for one, but I want to learn more about the potential of a more general purpose many-core architecture like this, and since it's an ARM host and can run Linux I figured I can always use it for other stuff too.
vidarh

Postby Chaul » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:48 pm

Play and study. I'll try and learn more about parallel programming. First I'll need to study what it can do and then I'll discover what it's capable of.

This is in a way like going back to my roots. It's very tempting for an old-school tech like me to tinker with the very low-level stuff. Especially when the platform is open and well documented.
Chaul

Postby branjo » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:58 pm

I am with ChrisGranger - looking forward to shrubbing (aka crunching) some BOINC distributed computing projects on my Parallella. And hoping World Community Grid will be one of them :-)

Cheers and good luck all :D
branjo

Postby patpatnz » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:15 pm

I have two purposes, I want to develop codec transcoding software to run on them. I also want to make a few publicly available for people to use in developing projects, not quite sure how I'm going to do that yet.
patpatnz

Postby ibuclaw » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:23 pm

I am the main developer for the GNU D Compiler, I will be porting the D Programming Language to the Epiphany architecture. :)
ibuclaw

Postby Disconnect » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:12 pm

FYI for those talking about XBMC or school, the Raspberry Pi is great for the first and specifically intended for the second.

I'm thinking video encoding/transcoding to feed my RaspBMC media center will be the first place I apply mine. After that, it depends on how much I can do to parallelize the various tasks I have laying around needing systems..
Disconnect

Postby cordite » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:21 pm

Probably some OpenCL, sound processing, prototyping branching code in general that goes over a lot of data in small bits.
cordite

Next

Return to General Discussion