[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - An idea of a hybrid accelerating architecture

An idea of a hybrid accelerating architecture

Forum for anything not suitable for the other forums.

An idea of a hybrid accelerating architecture

Postby leonfg » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:45 pm

Hi all, I'm thinking of a hybird embedded  hpc system that make use of PL and Epiphany.
We know that Xilinx provides an fpga development tool called HLS, it can generate IP core by  C/C++ code segment. With help of HLS, we can transfer part of our application code into IP core to speedup the execution. The new Xilinx SDSoC IDE provides more simple and effective way to do this work.
Now on a zynq+epiphany platform like parallella, we have the epiphany multicore accelerator, we also can implement some  IP cores in PL to accelerate our program (assuming PL resource is enough). Certainly we can make the two accelerating way combined, like designing epiphany program to do some processes, and in host program we do other process with IP core acceleration.
The questions are, what the advantages and disadvantages of fpga and of epiphany are? What the policy of accelerating task division is? In other way what kind algorithms are fit for fpga and what kind algorithms are fit for epiphany? 
Above all, I'm still figuring out the benefits and necessities of this architecture. Any thoughts on this idea?
leonfg

Re: An idea of a hybrid accelerating architecture

Postby dobkeratops » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:03 pm

Last edited by dobkeratops on Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:22 pm, edited 10 times in total.
dobkeratops

Postby leonfg » Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:50 pm

leonfg

Postby sbuchta » Thu May 19, 2016 6:10 am

sbuchta

Postby DonQuichotte » Thu May 19, 2016 11:20 am

Getting Epiphany AND FPGA for full throttle is one of my fantasies :)

Alas, I've tried FPGA a few years ago and you must be skilled to succeed... I gave up. Not excluding a 2nd try though, but I have enough with Epiphany for the moment.
Epiphany de la Parallella is great ! Epiphany de la Parallella is famous !

I'll just share 3 thoughts.

1°) is it even technically possible ?
A few years ago, I was told: the more you put inside the FPGA, the less the clock will be high.
Even for basic FPGA projects, you cannot expect the highest clock rates.
I explain for beginners: use a few thousands of logic cells, if a simple adder could be clocked, say with the 600 MHz clock base,
you certainly cannot go beyond 200 MHz with your chess project.
The placement and routing constraints prevent you from this ideal situation.
Did things evolved these last years ? I'm not up-to-date.
I fear Epiphany or part of it should be underclocked if the FPGA is too used... but again I'm not an FPGA expert and I did not study this point deeply.
The fact is, they wanted a 1000 MHz Epiphany first and had to downgrade it to 600 MHz... certainly not with pleasure. Things are rarely easier than hoped.
And why do you believe we have full speed with the 16 or 64-core local memory... 2 Mb at best, on 1 Gb RAM available... all this is not easy at all.

2°) FPGA... where Epiphany is not so good: 1-bit and > 32-bit
The better of FPGA ? Reconfigurable instructions. You have a program, say a bitcoin miner... reconfigure your FPGA, play your Epiphany program that calls sophisticated and greedy subroutines...
And then your face detection problem, with other custom FPGA routines... a dream probably.

But... Epiphany, even the most perfect CPU, cannot be good everywhere, it's a RISC architecture after all, fine with 32-bit but poor with single bit support (except the beloved BITREV).
I've already talked about the slow bit routines of the current C compiler... I had to rewrite the __builtin_popcount and __builtin_ctz to optimize my little Epiphany project.
Divisions are a problem too... even a single "add + 1" of a 64-bit integer takes about 6 instructions... or show me your code, how do you handle the carry ?
There are a lot of bit instructions that are not well implemented in Epiphany AND THE BIT INSTRUCTIONS ARE PERFECT WITH FPGA.
Each bit is used with FPGA, it's what fascinated me a few years ago. Tools, IP, P&R, money, ease of development... another story :shock:

Alas I don't think we can call FPGA then get the answer the next top... for routines lower than 10 instructions... rather 1000 or 10000 I guess.
Conclusion: if possible use FPGA for long 1-bit or > 32-bit routines.

3°) neural nets... or SPMD
I'm not against neural nets - I just never coded something like that.
Personally I use Epiphany the simpler way first: SPMD - Single Program Multiple Data.
Some algorithms support well this concept, like my current Eternity II project - it's a toy project I admit :roll:
You assign one core one single task with one chunk of input data... the easier way to begin multi-core development.

Well... i vote "YES" ! Do the best hybrid accelerating architecture you can, I'll follow ; I'll just improve my Epiphany assembly first :)
Long live to Epiphany de la Parallella !
DonQuichotte

Postby sebraa » Thu May 19, 2016 1:10 pm

sebraa

Postby Olaf » Thu May 19, 2016 8:43 pm

Olaf

Postby dobkeratops » Sun May 22, 2016 9:19 pm

dobkeratops

Return to General Discussion