[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - 64 Bit Parallela for Novena Laptop Case?

64 Bit Parallela for Novena Laptop Case?

Forum for anything not suitable for the other forums.

64 Bit Parallela for Novena Laptop Case?

Postby stan » Sat May 07, 2016 2:30 pm

I've looked at the Novena Laptop case; and I like it very much; but I think I might want to put your 64 bit board in it. It appears your 64 bit board is intended for a home unit. Will there be a laptop model available? The Novena unit has a 13" form factor, which is what I prefer.

https://www.crowdsupply.com/sutajio-kosagi/novena

I often run orther OSs from an extreme 300/400Mbs usb stick, so I need to have usb 3.0/3.1 ports to allow this rate. I also definitely need the GPIO port. How many cores will the 64 bit board allow? This wasn't immediately clear to me. Also, do I need to do anything special to allow the board to run in parallel mode, or will this be automatic and transparent to the user?

I am security conscious, so will the HW and BIOS be infosec compliant? I don't want the HW accessable over a network without the OS running. The BIOS, should be no-blob with no back-doors; and should not allow access to the HW without OS loaded.

Also, will there be 3D drivers; and will I be able to run Win10 and Other Linux, preferably in dual-boot?
stan

Re: 64 Bit Parallela for Novena Laptop Case?

Postby sebraa » Sat May 07, 2016 6:35 pm

I think you don't know what the Parallella is.

(a) The currently available Parallella boards contain a dual-core, 32-bit ARM processor (Xilinx Zynq) and a 16-core, 32-bit Epiphany mesh. There is no 64-bit version and there are no public plans of one appearing anytime soon.

(b) The Epiphany mesh is not supported by any standard software. It does not offer transparent parallelism unless some software specifically supports it, which probably will not happen in the near future.

(c) The host processor on the Parallella does not support USB 3.0.

(d) There will not be any Windows 10 support for the Parallella. The hardware uses U-Boot and Linux and is almost guaranteed to not be infosec compliant.

(e) The Parallella does not contain a GPU. There is no accelerated 3D support and there will not be a driver for it.

(f) There will not be a laptop version of it.

Buy a Novena if you want one. The Parallella is not for you.
sebraa

Postby stan » Sun May 08, 2016 6:37 pm

stan

Postby Olaf » Sun May 08, 2016 8:56 pm

But his answer is correct.

The board is not intended to be a laptop, or used as a regular computer.
It is designed for speed (when you use the epiphany processor by coding it yourself) and the monitor support is just there so you can hook it up to a monitor and have keyboard attached to it.

The desktop model could be the one that acts as a controller for all other boards. e.g you have a stack of 10 Parellalla's, only one needs to have monitor and keyboard functionality.
Olaf

Postby aolofsson » Sun May 08, 2016 9:13 pm

Stan, we do not tolerate that kind of behavior here. Good bye.
aolofsson

Return to General Discussion