[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - PSU for a cluster

PSU for a cluster

Forum for anything not suitable for the other forums.

PSU for a cluster

Postby nickoppen » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:56 pm

Hi,

I've just taken delivery of an original Kickstarter cluster.

It came with four power supplies but I want to see if I can get it going with one. I've looked around and there seems to be two very different price points for 5V 8A units. There's this which is made to power LED lights or this which is probably better quality but a LOT more expensive.

Having cooked two Parallellas already I'm being a little more careful with these ones.

Has anyone used one of the cheap ones with negative consequences? Is the extra $100 worth it?

nick
Sharing is what makes the internet Great!
nickoppen

Re: PSU for a cluster

Postby DonQuichotte » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:59 am

Hi Nick

No, I did not try. Some say "no more than 2 A".
The expensive one has a 4-way output if I understand correct ; not the cheap one.
DonQuichotte

Postby miguel_rodrigues » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:50 pm

You can try to build your own PSU using inexpensive parts, like shown in here: http://www.instructables.com/id/REUSE-Y ... OWER-BANK/

This will yield 5V. In order to get the amount of current desired, just connect the number of powerbanks required in parallel and feed it to you cluster. This will also look super cool because you will have a Portable Parallella Cluster :)

I am in the process of doing this with Raspberry Pi Zeros but have not yet finished such project.
miguel_rodrigues

Postby aolofsson » Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:08 pm

I have run mine down to 3.7V (off batteries)
Andreas
aolofsson

Postby nickoppen » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:58 am

What about one of these: ?

I know that it is massive overkill on the power rating but it also has a fan and could easily power the ethernet hub as well?
Sharing is what makes the internet Great!
nickoppen

Return to General Discussion