Normal Temperature

Any technical questions about the Epiphany chip and Parallella HW Platform.

Moderator: aolofsson

Normal Temperature

Postby Pieter-Jan » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:28 am

Hello,

I have a headless install and just connect to my board through SSH. When I monitor the Zynq temperature it's just below 70° (68-69) when the board is doing nothing. I have one of the new heatsinks. Is this normal or have I connected the heatsink wrongly?

Will I need a fan when I want to actually do something on the board?

Thanks
Pieter-Jan

Re: Normal Temperature

Postby greytery » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:56 pm

Normal-ish for the idle state - without a fan. There is some variation between chips - your mileage will vary - but of course things do warm up if you actually use it!
Advice is to mount the board vertically and/or add some air-flow - even with the larger heatsinks.

See some examples here.

Cheers
tery
greytery

Postby 9600 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:08 pm

greytery wrote:Advice is to mount the board vertically and/or add some air-flow - even with the larger heatsinks.

+1. I'd advise using a fan, but note that it needn't be at all powerful and only a small amount of airflow over the heatsink is required.

Regards,

Andrew
Andrew Back (a.k.a. 9600 / carrierdetect)

Postby jubertroldan » Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:51 am

I complied xtemp.c and its running at 49 - 52 range 49 [is color blue text] and 52 [is red text]... does the 52 mean its maximum temperature recorded? i dont think it doesnt necessarily mean that I am over the recommended temperature ? or does it?

can I run this setup 24x7? 24 hours 7 days a week?

see below photo for my setup.
parallellaboards1.jpg
Parrallella boards
parallellaboards1.jpg (164.46 KiB) Viewed 6790 times

thank you! I appreciate the feedback!
jubertroldan

Postby greytery » Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:11 pm

jubertroldan wrote:... does the 52 mean its maximum temperature recorded? i dont think it doesnt necessarily mean that I am over the recommended temperature ? or does it?

Red = max temp. Your results show a 'cool' Parallella - but remember that it is likely to get warmer when you use it to do actual work. Temps around 80C are considered 'hot' and best kept cooler than that.
jubertroldan wrote:can I run this setup 24x7? 24 hours 7 days a week?

Doing what? If running 'heavy' work (temp average of > 80C) then unlikley to last for ever. The chips are not military grade.

Novel fixing for your fans :o Some sort of paper padding? As it stands that appears to reduce air flow across the heatsinks, so perhaps you could get slightly better results without so much stuffed into the vanes.

Cheers.
tery
greytery

Return to Epiphany and Parallella Q & A