SMT parallella board

Any technical questions about the Epiphany chip and Parallella HW Platform.

Moderator: aolofsson

SMT parallella board

Postby jlambrecht » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:18 pm

Please bare with me, a simple question.

The parallella boards to seem quite 'fat', is there a way to have this board in a really flat design, i believe such is referred to as made possible by an SMT process ?

The idea is to then have

* high-speed sideways connectors for attaching one or more clip-on-boards offering USB, Ethernet, HDMI
jlambrecht

Re: SMT parallella board

Postby aolofsson » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:21 pm

If you remove the RJ45, 5V and use only signals from the backside samtec connectors, it becomes pretty thin...depends on what you are trying to achieve.
aolofsson

Re: SMT parallella board

Postby jlambrecht » Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:48 pm

I can state in all honesty i have been desperately looking for collaborators on the 'design' what has become known as phoneblocks since 2007. Too early i guess and by no means original since i borrowed this concept for the design myself. So i dumped the modular phone concept into a few forums. Enough futile bragging.

Now i have an idea which varies on this as does indicate the above post. I've watched parallella for a few years now and i'm convinced this might just be a design that sticks. I'm not sure who i'd turn nothing but a concept/idea into a reality of which i could benefit as well without losing all support once it would pick up.

There's a software part to it as well which i'm progressing on, nothing much, more of a stack.
jlambrecht

Return to Epiphany and Parallella Q & A