[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - Debugging the Parallella

Debugging the Parallella

Discussion about Parallella (and Epiphany) Software Development

Moderators: amylaar, jeremybennett, simoncook

Debugging the Parallella

Postby skinner » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:43 pm

skinner

Re: Debugging the Parallella

Postby skinner » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:10 pm

Up !

Any help would be very appreciated !

Thomas.
skinner

Postby Anthony » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:56 am

Hi,Thomas!
i'm quite new in debug on epiphany,so i just give out my personal opinion if it can help u

1.i think e-gdb works,but i'm not quite sure since i haven't use debug so far
2.when you use e-gdb to debug your project "target remote:510000" shows the connection to your core,i think you should next use "load' to load program to the core memory ,since gdb is executed manully just as the epiphany_sdk_ref.pdf says.
3.i donnt understand what you mean,why not directly debug on the board using ssh as you mentioned
4.e_alloc function works well,but what is e_shm_alloc,i cant find it in pdf file

Regards

Anthony
Anthony

Postby skinner » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:58 pm

Hi Anthony and thanks for your reply.

The problem was that the whole board was freewing everytime I tried using gdb on it. I figured out it was a problem of heat since the thermal deamon of the parallella shut down the epiphany chip if the heat is above 75 degrees and mine was over 75... There was also another issue, as seen in the eSDK 2015.1 update notes : i didn't use the e_reset_system function prior to use gdb and the e-server.

Now I'm able to to use it but I'm stuck with another problem : every time i use the "next" or "nexti" commands, gdb is halting and i got no response from it. the e-server however is yelling some reading errors from other cores even though I only use one core. I tried to launch the e-server with the "--check-hw-address" option and it crashes right after the first "next", due to an access to unmapped addresses...

Besides, when I step into my program, the other cores also seem to execute some instructions even though everything used by my program (data + code) can fit into only the targeted core and that I put the standard libraries into the external memory. Can someone explain this to me ? I may have missed a critical point here.

Thanks,

Thomas.

EDIT : similar issue : viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1643&p=10229&hilit=gdb&sid=8f0f1aad2eba35beaae29c7191414025#p10126
skinner

Postby skinner » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:25 pm

skinner

Postby skinner » Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:17 pm

Is there really no one able to help here ?
skinner

Postby skinner » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:39 am

Hi !

I've been working on a to help debug applications on the Epiphany chip since gdb isn't working correctly. This is not suitable for a production code but it can be useful to have some sort of "printf-like" fast debugging. There maybe are still some bugs, if so please let me know. Hope that can help !
skinner

Return to Programming Q & A