[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - dma and mutex problems - is it worth perservering

dma and mutex problems - is it worth perservering

Discussion about Parallella (and Epiphany) Software Development

Moderators: amylaar, jeremybennett, simoncook

dma and mutex problems - is it worth perservering

Postby nickoppen » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:38 am

Hi,

I'm having a final push to get my image processing framework written. I want to have each core processing 1 sixteenth of the image blocked down into work units that will fit inside the core's memory. While one work unit is being processed I want to use dma to transfer the next one so it is available when the processing on the previous one is done. I'm trying to use e_mutex_lock and e_mutex_unlock to coordinate the processing and the dma. My code is here: .

I've posted some questions previously about issues I'm having with dma and there have been some vague mentions of "hardware errata" possibly being responsible for the dma stalling. Now that I'm using e_mutex_(un)lock the problems seem to be getting worse.

I also have noticed that there does not seem to be any examples of e_mutex_lock on git hub or in the parallella examples.

Is it worth persevering with dma and e_mutex?

nick
Sharing is what makes the internet Great!
nickoppen

Re: dma and mutex problems - is it worth perservering

Postby jar » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:47 pm

From personal experience, using the DMA engine directly in code is technically challenging. There's latency in kicking off the DMA operation compared to simply dereferencing a remote address. With an optimized remote memory copy, performance is often better than DMA. This is partly because the DMA hardware errata limits performance to less than half of what it should be. Data must also be carefully located to take advantage of asynchronous compute and memory movement.

So, I would avoid DMA.
jar

Re: dma and mutex problems - is it worth perservering

Postby nickoppen » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:56 am

Thanks James,

That's a pity because if the combination would have been great.

Your post actually explains something else I've seen, a small chunk of data missing at the end of the array after the DMA interrupt has fired.

I'll give your OpenSHMEM a go. I've been (slowly) writing an image processing system for a blog post about COPRTHR-2 but I was reluctant to talk about code that doesn't always work and add a caveat "ignore the DMA - it's flaky".

nick
Sharing is what makes the internet Great!
nickoppen

Return to Programming Q & A