[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - Using the Parallella with ‘R’ and OpenCL

Using the Parallella with ‘R’ and OpenCL

Moderator: censix

Using the Parallella with ‘R’ and OpenCL

Postby Art R » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:59 am

Greetings,

I recently received an email which suggested the possibility of a project to port the R Statistical language to the Parallella platform using Open CL. While I am a relatively newbie to R , I am member of a large R users group some of whose members might be interested in contributing to such an exciting project for R.
Art R

Re: Using the Parallella with ‘R’ and OpenCL

Postby censix » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:10 pm

Hi

yes, the idea is to enable R to use the Epiphany parallel processor of the Parallella board as an accelerator, similar to how R can use GPUs as accelerators. One way to do this without having to reinvent the wheel is through OpenCL. just send me a private message on what you have in mind.

Cheers
censix

Postby juanlp » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:57 am

Hi censix,

Great tutorial on R and OpenCL. I wonder if MPI interface is already available within E16/64 framework, i.e. doSNOW or doMPI

Thank you,
Juan
juanlp

Postby censix » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:57 pm

doMPI is just an R wrapper for MPI, I believe. So as soon as we have a working MPI for the Epiphany we are done.
censix

Postby juanlp » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:50 am

Thanks. So it means if we manage to install OpenMPI then it would be ready to go? Sorry, I am new to this parallel world :D
juanlp

Postby censix » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:29 am

I may have been wrong. looks like 'doMPI' depends on 'Rmpi'. And the latter one I have had not time to look at. You could read the docs and see if it is possible to adapt 'Rmpi' to work with the Epiphany.... Soren
censix

Postby 9600 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:30 am

Andrew Back

Postby juanlp » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:41 pm

Thanks censix and Andrew, I got answers from both of you :)

You are correct, my questions came from 2 parts:

- Would MPI be faster than OpenCL, when communicate between the cores on the same board. Though my gut feeling tells me it is OpenCL.
- Next is how to establish the communication between the boards?

Apart from simulation, I am really interested in using this for big-data analysis. Keep up the great works :)
juanlp

Postby svartalf » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:56 pm

svartalf

Return to R